What does it mean when fish stay in holes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I keep seeing all my fish huddling in various "holes" (think bream bed) in my gravel under plants. They seem to stay there except when I feed them, and then they go nuts. Water perams are normal-Ammonia: none, Nitrite: none, Nitrate: 5ppm. Could it just be too much current? I see them (usually) facing forward and constantly twitching.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Your Fish

I keep seeing all my fish huddling in various "holes" (think bream bed) in my gravel under plants. They seem to stay there except when I feed them, and then they go nuts. Water perams are normal-Ammonia: none, Nitrite: none, Nitrate: 5ppm. Could it just be too much current? I see them (usually) facing forward and constantly twitching.

Hello lectra...

When fish act differently, it's typically a couple of things: Most times, it's water related. If you're not removing and replacing half the tank water every week or two, the water chemistry can change and stress the fish. The other thing is there aren't enough plants in the tank. Aquarium fish are most comfortable in heavily planted tanks. Plants do two things. They, help maintain level water properties and provide an escape for timid fish or fish that may be bullied by others.

B

15 gallon tank. Temp stays @ 74・F and I have been changing 70% every three days. All fish in tank (5 neons, 3 bleeding hearts) are doing it. Nobody appears to be the bully, and nobody is separated from the crew. Like I said, Nitrates are kept at >5ppm. Tank is planted gravel with soil under. Tank has run for two months, but a couple of the neons were in my nano and very active. I just divided my swords but also have a couple big, bushy fake plants in back for extra cover.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why are you changing so much water so frequently? Your fish are probably living in fear..

I have just finished cycling this tank and am also trying to control diatoms. What eats diatoms?

Never mind... I found Otto Cats love diatoms. Already have two working on it.

I noticed this morning that when I swapped a pair of 20 watt CFLs for those 10 watt GlowFish CFLs, my tetras (both species) rose up and started playing. Strangely, I had a couple of these same neons (not all) in my 1 gallon nano with a 13 watt BX lamp and they seemed fairly happy there.

Back
Top Bottom