What happened to my betta's tail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhloeM

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi everyone! so i recently moved both of my bettas into new (cycled and tested with API Freshwater Master Test Kit:)) 5 gallon tanks! they looove all of the extra space! however, today i noticed that Zeus's tail is torn! i don't know what caused it, if it was the filter or a decoration, but i will post a bunch of pictures of his tail before and after.
here's a picture of my tank (currently. i will be adding live plants in a little bit) so you can get an idea of what's in it:ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426293908.458628.jpg not sure if it was the temple decoration, but i checked it out for sharp edges and it felt smooth. it could be the plants in back, which i could definitely ditch, but i'm reluctant to get rid of the rest :( (but if i have to, i definitely will!)
here are pics of Zeus's tail before the upgrade:ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426293996.049900.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426294020.445128.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426294040.337681.jpg
and here are pics of his tail currently:ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426294082.492367.jpg in this one, focus on the very tip. you can see a piece of it hanging off basically, and you can clearly see how it is like split or somehing (at the very end in his tail)

sorry, the rest wouldn't upload: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426294259.515768.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426294272.638237.jpg
as you can see, there is a kind of "slit/split" in his tail in the back, and a piece of it handing off at the end. also, his bottom fin is, like, twisted or something at the bottom. please help me with this if you've ever experienced this before. thanks! :)

If those plants are plastic, that's what most likely caused it.

i feel like it's the green ones in back. they aren't jagged, but he's been going in and out all day. and the bamboo thing is not sharp it's soft, and the tree has rounded leaves... i'm just going to take out those plants right now. would you say his tail is pretty bad or no? i've never had this happen before so i don't know if there's anything to do about it? thanks! :)

UPDATE: now i'm debating if it's actually fin rot... i can't really tell! :( if i put aquarium salt in and it wasn't fin rot, would that harm him?

Mine goes through all my decor and plants fake and real. Some of his fins get nicked a little bit. Unless it's getting bad I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Mine goes through all my decor and plants fake and real. Some of his fins get nicked a little bit. Unless it's getting bad I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

thanks! i just feel like it's pretty bad because it's like ripped and torn up :( would salt harm him if i put it in but it wasn't fin rot?

No bettas are not sensitive to salt that I'm aware of. Salt baths are commonly used to reduce stress.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom