What happened to my Platy...only had it 3 days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BldrArch

Aquarium Advice Regular
:(

I got 3 Platy from LFS on Thursday. Yesterday I noticed one of them sort of chilling out at the top of the heater. It would go after the food when I fed them but never ate anything. This morning on my way out for mother's day festivities I noticed he was at the bottom hanging out while the other 2 Platy are as active as ever since I got them. I get home and he's dead on the bottom.

I cycled my tank with ammonia and when that process was complete, I ended up only getting 1 plec the day I went to stock and got the Platy 4 days layer. Since I was expecting a mini cycle I've been testing the water daily and getting 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. The nitrates had been at 5 but climbed to between 10-20 yesterday. I did a weekly PWC of about 30% yesterday after I thought the Platy behavior was a bit strange. I matched the tap water to the tank temp with a thermometer and added Prime per dosing instructions.

When I tested this morn ammonia was almost .25, nitrite 0 and trAte again around 10. I did a 25% PWC before I left just in case as Platy seemed lethargic this morn.

I'm not noticing anything on him physically. But then I guess I don't know what to look for. Do you think I brought him home sick? I noticed from the start the other 2 were way more active. I just don't want anything spreading in my tank. I've only had fish for a week so I'm horrified at the potential this is my fault.

Which also has me wondering what one should have on hand for potential sick fish and if one should always have some type of ER tank or something??

ETA: I just read another thread about white, stringy poop and I think he had that...the others don't... but I think he had normal reddish/orange poop the first day...

Homedog98 said:
Sounds like he was sick when you got him. How did you acclimate them?

I just updated OP with poop issue.

I placed the bag in the water for about 20 minutes then added about 1/2 cup tank water to bag every 20 minutes for the course of a couple hours. Then netted them to put into the tank. I'm open to other suggestions.

BldrArch said:
I just updated OP with poop issue.

I placed the bag in the water for about 20 minutes then added about 1/2 cup tank water to bag every 20 minutes for the course of a couple hours. Then netted them to put into the tank. I'm open to other suggestions.

Ya, sounds like he was just sick. That sucks. RIP mr. Platy!

Back
Top Bottom