What Ich medication should I use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone, I have been using Kordon's Ich Attack 100% natural. But today I saw Quick Cure Ich treatment. The Quick Cure's ingredients are: Formalin and Malachite Green. Would the quick cure be better and faster than the 100% natural Kordon Ich attack?

So far, I have been dosing Kordon's Ich attack twice a day (its natural, so you cant really overdose) and the water has turned a brown muddy color, but has not stained anything. If I should switch to the Quick Cure, since it has Malachite Green, what will it stain besides the water? I have white gravel and silk/plasitic plants, would they be stained? Also, should I remove my Marimo moss ball?

I cranked up the temp to 82, but I can tell my fish are stressed, so I turned it back to 79-80. I removed the carbon from my filters also.

If I should switch to Quick Cure, how would I go about doing it? Should I get the Kordon's Ich attack out with a water change?

Any advice would be deeply appreciated! :thanks:

Last edited:
Best medicine for ich is the temp as you have it and lots of water changes, would stop using medicines at this point "if" it is ich your fish have.

Is this for your 40 gallon? I'm sorry to say you have a strange mix in that tank, the goldfish is a cold water fish and big, the tinfoil will grow pretty big also so your smaller fish now will most likely become fish food.

Best medicine for ich is the temp as you have it and lots of water changes, would stop using medicines at this point "if" it is ich your fish have.

Is this for your 40 gallon? I'm sorry to say you have a strange mix in that tank, the goldfish is a cold water fish and big, the tinfoil will grow pretty big also so your smaller fish now will most likely become fish food.

Yeah its in my 40 gallon. Its a really weird mix, but my tank usually is kept at a steady 74-75 (perfect for my tropical fish and goldfish). I just like getting friendly fish and putting them in there :) So far, everyone is getting along fine. at first I thought that the goldie or the barb would make a snack tetras, but to my surprise, they all get along great! :) To tell you the truth, I dont even think that the barb or the goldie know the tetras are there! :lol:

I have the temp set to 81-82 so I dont stress out my goldfish to much. the Ich is only on my Balloon Molly so far. Hey, do you know if Malachite Green will stain my white gravel or decor?

Anything with methylene blue or malachite green (Victoria green, etc) will likely permanently stain your tank/decor. Fancy goldfish do not handle this well either. I would personally treat with increased salinity only (.3%) but I do not know what else is in the tank and this method is not suitable for all fish.

hey jlk glad you hopped on here! I would go with the heat and salt as well, but you know the goldfish best. can they handle the heat? I know for heat the majic number is 86. for salt is the number 5TBSP? (here is an.excerpt from Cichlid forum) " If I were using salt alone, I would work my way up to 4-5 tablespoons per 5 gallons. We don’t want to skimp on our treatment if we hope to permanently eliminate this pest. Salt should be added slowly over the course of 24-48 hours or so (always dissolve in a small container of tank water first)" Understanding and Treating Ich or White Spot

hey jlk glad you hopped on here! I would go with the heat and salt as well, but you know the goldfish best. can they handle the heat? I know for heat the majic number is 86. for salt is the number 5TBSP? (here is an.excerpt from Cichlid forum) " If I were using salt alone, I would work my way up to 4-5 tablespoons per 5 gallons. We don’t want to skimp on our treatment if we hope to permanently eliminate this pest. Salt should be added slowly over the course of 24-48 hours or so (always dissolve in a small container of tank water first)" Understanding and Treating Ich or White Spot

5 tablespoons per 5g is actually fairly accurate to a bit on the high side. I hate to use 'spoons' to measure salt as different sized grains of salt weigh different amounts. One teaspoon of canning or fine salt is not the same thing as one spoon of API or rock salt. Bit off topic on salt grain size but 1tbsp per gallon is approximately .3-.5% salinity range (depending on salt type) and suitable for treating ich in some species of fish. Not a good idea though with scaleless fish, inverts or plants. Still not sure what else may stocked with the goldfish to help make recommendations?

5 tablespoons per 5g is actually fairly accurate to a bit on the high side. I hate to use 'spoons' to measure salt as different sized grains of salt weigh different amounts. One teaspoon of canning or fine salt is not the same thing as one spoon of API or rock salt. Bit off topic on salt grain size but 1tbsp per gallon is approximately .3-.5% salinity range (depending on salt type) and suitable for treating ich in some species of fish. Not a good idea though with scaleless fish, inverts or plants. Still not sure what else may stocked with the goldfish to help make recommendations?

I know a bit off topic but it sounds then that 5 tblsn per 5 gal is to take it close to sea-water? I've just wondered where this comes from.

I know a bit off topic but it sounds then that 5 tblsn per 5 gal is to take it close to sea-water? I've just wondered where this comes from.

This Is an 'approximate' measurement but seawater has ranges of 113-130grams of salt per gallon. A .3% salinity used to treat ich in goldfish is only 11.4grams of salt per gallon. Weight really is the only way to accurately measure salt.

This Is an 'approximate' measurement but seawater has ranges of 113-130grams of salt per gallon. A .3% salinity used to treat ich in goldfish is only 11.4grams of salt per gallon. Weight really is the only way to accurately measure salt.

Thanks, got it - misread the numbers (rushing around). :)

Soooo, are guides like 1 tblsn per gal based on experience over time would you say then? I'm curious where the numbers come from as it seems every article (well a few) has a slightly different idea on salt dosage rates but I'm not aware of many studies?

And that would be why I like the heat method of treatment. Much easier to measure for me and you can add salt to help. Plus all my fish don't like salt so it is not a good option for me

Back
Top Bottom