What in the world!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got my 55g home and was cleaning filters, etc before I got to the tank. Then as I emptied all the decor out of the tank I found a small pleco! I am thinking it is either a Clown Pleco or a Dwarf Red Fin. I don't know if it will make it; it swam around fine when I put it in a small container with water. It had been in just a small amount of wet gravel for about 8 hours! Do you think it will make it? I know they are very hardy fish. Pictures soon to come.

I hate to admit this...about 8 years ago I had a ten gallon tank with guppies, neons, and a couple of cories...I had it about 6 months and my fish all died (due to my lack of knowledge)...I scooped all the fish out and siphoned all the water out but left 2" (just bc I was lazy) and left it there for 3 months, until I had to move. There was no filter running, no pwc, and def no food. I never even took a second look at the tank in those three months. But when moving I had to dump the water out and low and behold one of the cories survived!

So hopefully your guy can pull through just fine...can you post a pic?

Niki said:
I hate to admit this...about 8 years ago I had a ten gallon tank with guppies, neons, and a couple of cories...I had it about 6 months and my fish all died (due to my lack of knowledge)...I scooped all the fish out and siphoned all the water out but left 2" (just bc I was lazy) and left it there for 3 months, until I had to move. There was no filter running, no pwc, and def no food. I never even took a second look at the tank in those three months. But when moving I had to dump the water out and low and behold one of the cories survived!

So hopefully your guy can pull through just fine...can you post a pic?

I dont know wether to laugh or cry

Finally...

Sorry for the long wait, I just got done bleaching, scraping, and filling the new 55! :dance:

As for the pleco, after further research I would say he is more than likely a Clown Pleco. He seems to have a little red spot on his right pectoral fin, but it is probably just from wiggling on the gravel. Other than that he seems to be okay, I know catfish(especially plecos) are about the hardest thing to kill. I think I will keep him the my tiny temporary QT container to make sure nothing comes from this like ich or any other disease. Let me know what you think I should do with him, how long he should be QT'ed and if he will get along with my existing Bristlenose Pleco. Here is a picture of him, sorry for the not so great angle.

Thanks ahead of time for the input!

You're right! I have four of those. 
I think if there is enough territory they would be fine... but I have not tried that.

What a little cutie. :) It looks like a clown pleco to me as well. I hope he does ok. They are more sensitive than some of the other plecos, but hopefully he pulls through all of this. :)

Well, I believe he is going to be perfectly fine. :) He has gotten a whole lot more active, colored up, and is eating. What a handsome and lucky fish he is. Thanks everyone for the help!

I dont know wether to laugh or cry
im sorry i almost pmsl at this comment X'D xxx

thats brilliant that its doing so well!! very pretty too.

i can top off the wierd stories.
for 4 months i didnt care for the tank (10g) at all. i basically got so bored of it i got rid of all the fish and let the water evapourate off.
shock of my life when i got round to cleaning all the decos. in there were dozens of little orange things zipping around in the 4in of filthy water left!! i netted one (about 2cm maybe smaller) and i recognised it as a leopard danio! so they must have laid eggs, the eggs hatched, the fry grew. in what i am happy to describe as a swamp. i completely cleaned the tank but i lost all the danios, since they were used to such filthy water they couldnt live in the new conditions. sad :(

anyone else had something like this happen to them? x

Back
Top Bottom