What in the world happened? Any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PB_Smith

Aquarium Advice Addict
Feeding my fishies just now I saw this;

92584-albums14090-picture67523.jpg

92584-albums14090-picture67522.jpg

my biggest Bloodfin tetra looks as if something ripped the lower half of it's face off!!

3-4 days ago it was fine, then last night I noticed that it hadn't been out chasing around with the others as it usually did, then this morning I find this.

It looks like damage/physical trauma more than an infection of some type.
The only thing in the tank that could even remotely "attack" a fish like that would be the dwarf African frog, but I find it very unlikely.

anybody have any thoughts on what it could be/what happened?

man, it's gonna be a real bugger to get him outa the tank without tearing up the plants.....those guys are fast. :(

sorry the pics aren't better, the fishy isn't feeling very photogenic at the moment.

Maybe it got spooked and barreled into the glass or a deco?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, I'm considering that as a possible scenario because it does look as if his lower jaw is broken and just hangs open.
He must have slammed into the glass HARD though.

I'm thinking the same as brookster, I would consider putting him down, if infection takes place, or if he can't eat in a couple days.:(

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

if only it was as easy as it sounds....don't wanna tear up all my plants, they just started to really take off. :(
I know he is not eating because he literally is just a open gape into his throat, no mouth left to chew with.
But I'm gonna do a WC and get him out this evening.

Gotcha, I totally agree tetras in general are freaking fast, and a pain to get out of a large tank!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom