What is going on here??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay guys and gals. I've got a mystery symptom for everyone. Has anyone ever had a fish that developed a lump on its chin? Rather than it looking like a lump, it looks more like the fishes chin is just growing. It's really bizarre. The fish now appears fine but I had a tetra that died with this symptom. Not sure if it is what killed it. I actually believed it died from stress or shock when they were all moved to a new aclimated tank. If I can get a pic I will post it. Please tell me my tank doesn't have some sort of crazy chin growing fish parasite. That would really bum me out.

I had an engineer goby that scratched it chin somehow. A half a day later he got a lump over it, all white and nasty looking. It took a couple weeks for it to heal up.

Adeian

HUKIT said:
Could you color it to?

Haha. Yes but I can't promise I will stay in the lines.

I can't get a clear picture I've tried. The fish are so fast and small its impossible. So I'm guessing it isn't common?

As long as the fish is eating and swimming behavior is normal I wouldnt worry to much, keep the water clean and monitor the fish. I've seen fish that constantly dig in the sand develope a spot on their lower lips/chin area.

Ok I finally got so good pictures both are the same fish. Both chins looked the same when I bought them. Also it looks like the jaw is locking

Heeeeeelllppp!!

Attachments

• image-138261811.jpg
    image-138261811.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1673535296.jpg
    image-1673535296.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 84
The sore on the chin is from a fish being skittish and swimming away, not realizing that its in an aquarium and smacking the wall. My friend has two Red Belly Piranha's that have the sores

GrimmGoby said:
On second thought, I don't think I'm right...

Yeah I'm not sure it's that. Two reasons why, 1 they don't ever hit the glass and, 2 I lost a fish already that had this. I don't think he died from the growth on his chin but it was very strange. Like I said it looks like the mouth is getting locked open.

There are many fungus and bacteria that can attack the jaw muscles but without know which makes it extremely difficult to treat. Maybe try a broad spectrum antibodic to start. This may sound cruel but it's not intended that way, sometime treating the illness with meds starts to exceed the cost of the fish and with no guarantee meds will work, if the fish is suffering maybe it's time to euthanize.

HUKIT said:
There are many fungus and bacteria that can attack the jaw muscles but without know which makes it extremely difficult to treat. Maybe try a broad spectrum antibodic to start. This may sound cruel but it's not intended that way, sometime treating the illness with meds starts to exceed the cost of the fish and with no guarantee meds will work, if the fish is suffering maybe it's time to euthanize.

I hear ya. I don't like to see them suffer but both the fish in my tank that appear sick seem totally happy and I'm afraid they aren't really suffering. I'm going to continue my googling efforts to try and save him. I like a challenge to to.

Back
Top Bottom