What is killing my guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachelle8

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can someone give me an idea about how to figure out who is killing my guppies? I lost 3 and bought six more yesterday and 2 of those were dead this morning with their tails almost gone and one had a hole in it's stomach. In the tank I have 2 dwarf gourami, 3 swordtails, 2 catfish, 3 large black skirted tetras.

Well, sounds like a compatibility issue for sure...

What size tank? Have you tested the water parameters? Are there any hides/caves/plants in the tank? I've heard of gouramis being territorial. What kind of catfish do you have? Don't think the swordtails or tetras would be an issue normally, but I could be wrong or they could be lashing out since I believe they both are schooling fish that should be in groups of 6+. Still new to the hobby so pardon me if I'm incorrect on anything. Just some things to look into.

*Also, are all your guppies male OR female? If you have more males than females, they'd fight but I don't think they'd end up with holes like that...

my tank is 20 gallon and I have checked the water; it is a bit hard but has never given the fish a problem. I have several caves/hiding places and plants. The 2 catfish are cory. I do have more male guppies than females but they do not seem to bothering each other. I keep watching the tank to see if I see any aggression. I only see the male swordtail chasing the females and one gourami chasing the other but I don't see anyone bothering the guppies.

Is there any white body lesions?
If you rule out diesease, then you can pretty much be sure they are not compatible.
Black skirts dont really get along with anything besides other tetras. They are as breanne said, kind of agressive.

Back
Top Bottom