Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

What is killing my Harlequin Rasbora?!

I had 5 for a long time and added 7 more and now, within 3 months I only have 3 left! One of the ones left all has a small white spot (fungus maybe?) on the mouth and the rest are otherwise acting normal. When one dies there were a lot of flat white worms crawling over and around it and a chunk was taken out of it, canít tell if they were coming from inside or just eating it. These might be planaria but I am not sure, I have medicine to treat planaria just worried about shrimp and snails (the one I have is deff okay for shrimp though) I see the points on the head but not the eyes and theyíre small and flat and white but thereís rather a lot of them.

Also battling green hair algae and some black beard

Cardinal tetras and one neon tetra seem to be fine.
29 gal planted tank
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1459.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	311639

Name:	IMG_1460.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	311636

Name:	IMG_1456.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	311638

Name:	IMG_1458.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	311640

Old 01-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They do look like planaria. The white stuff of the mouth is probably cottonmouth which is a form of columnaris. For the algae issue try slightly larger water changes or more frequent changes. Also try to reduce the intensity of your light or how long they are on.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

What is killing my Harlequin Rasbora?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
They do look like planaria. The white stuff of the mouth is probably cottonmouth which is a form of columnaris. For the algae issue try slightly larger water changes or more frequent changes. Also try to reduce the intensity of your light or how long they are on.

Iíll do the planaria treatment, I canít find much on cottonmouth but not sure thatís whatís killing them? Should I cull? I donít want the cardinals to suffer at all...
the algae is terrible I stopped feetís and reduced lights and kept co2 and itís still there! I will admit I donít do water changes much because the parameters are perfect and I just add RO water when needed. Iíll try doing weekly for a little bit but refilling with RO is annoying so I donít like having to use more water than needed. Hereís a better pic of his mouth:

Name:	IMG_1457.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	311648
Old 01-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That does look to be cottonmouth. I know changing water can be a pain but all the issues you are having have one thing in common. Not enough cleaning of the tank. Planeria are caused by poor cleaning which can mean poor water quality. This will lead to your fish dying and others being susceptible to infections like cottonmouth. Don't give up hope on the cardinals. You just gotta give them the right conditions. Do you have any test results to link? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, TDs, pH, GH, kh. Anything that can help better understand your tank.

Also meant to say stop worrying about precise parameters and instead watch what the tank is doing and use those supposed recommended parameters as guidelines. If fish are dying in perfect parameters then they aren't perfect after all
Old 01-12-2019, 11:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It looks to be a fungal infection. There's meds out there to treat that but I would remove him to a quarantine tank then treat.

As goat stated......testing your water and having an idea what you have going on helps. Id add that you should also test for phosphates because of your algae issues.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sure! I just checked my parameters and here they are:
Ph: 7.6-7.8 (borderline)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Always trying to get those nitrates up but havenít been dosing ferts since Iím battling the hair algae.

Is it low phosphates that cause algae? Iíll have to see if I can order a test for that.

I used to have gh and kh kits but theyíre expired now and results never changed. They were around 10-11 before because our tap water is hard, which is why I use RO for this planted tank specifically.
I do lots of water changes on all my other tanks, Iím not just being lazy

Would it be best to quarantine all the rasbora or just the one with the visible cottonmouth?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just pulled out my ďno-planariaĒ bag and am feeling apprehensive about starting.
Definitely going to be taking out the nerite snails for treatment but Iím seeing people say that they canít put snails back in for months after?! Also have tons of rams horn and mts in there and not really into killing all of them :/
From what I can tell the cardinals and ottos should be okay as long as I do it right
Old 01-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladka View Post
Just pulled out my ďno-planariaĒ bag and am feeling apprehensive about starting.
Definitely going to be taking out the nerite snails for treatment but Iím seeing people say that they canít put snails back in for months after?! Also have tons of rams horn and mts in there and not really into killing all of them :/
From what I can tell the cardinals and ottos should be okay as long as I do it right
Planeria are said to come from poorly cleaned tanks or tanks with overfeeding. Maybe one of these are your issue?
Old 01-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
Planeria are said to come from poorly cleaned tanks or tanks with overfeeding. Maybe one of these are your issue?

Well in this tank I do not vacuum the substrate or surface since itís heavily planted, I do occasional water changes (maybe once a month or so) but mostly I just top off with RO.
I try not to overfeed but I did get a little pellet happy in the last month.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update: now one of the cardinals is showing something strange, looks like 2 sacs under chin, one has a string/worm looking thing inside.
Iíve never seen this before, and am trying to decide if quarantine would be best in a 1/2 gallon tank with under gravel vac or in my 10 gal shrimp tank. Rasbora needs to go somewhere too and Iíd rather not medicate this shrimp tank.

Tags
harlequin, harlequin rasbora, rasbora

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com