What is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was supposed to pick up a fish today that my lfs special ordered for me. I have had them order fish for me in the past without any problem.

I don't have a quarantine tank, because I don't have room for one (yes I know that's crazy, but it would have to be a larger quarantine tank than most since I have larger fish).

Anyway, apparently their shipment was late and a new guy accepted their shipment today, and should've refused a couple fish. Unfortunately my new ropefish is in bad shape. I told them I couldn't bring him home in that shape without knowing for certain this was just injury and not contagious. They were very understanding, and I admit this is the first time I have had any issue with this lfs. The experienced staff were not there to help diagnose, and I definitely don't trust the new guy.

They don't really have the room to adequate house a large ropefish for very long. So I do feel bad for the poor fish, and I'm hoping maybe someone here can shed some light on what this might be.

I did not see salt like spots on the rope that resembles ich, but maybe it's a later stage (also I've been soooo fortunate through my years in this hobby to only deal with ich once). The wounds did not appear to be fuzzy or anything like that. I believe these could be injuries from a previous bully, but I don't know it's previous environment to say for sure.

I tried to get the best pics I could, but she wasn't cooperating lol. The wound on the opposite side is quite large (at least a 1/4 inch), but I couldn't get a pic.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403577258.085647.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403577271.214237.jpg

What do you all think????

I would say either a wound or a bacterial infection (or both). Without a QT to let the fish recover (no payment until) I wouldn't accept that fish either. It looks like just fresh water and quiet time in a cycled QT would have a good chance but imo I wouldn't risk either as is.

Back
Top Bottom