What is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaholic1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have no idea what I am working with and I am hoping to get some expert advice and knowledge that can help me save my female angelfish.

So I have a Female silver blue pearlscale Angelfish, or atleast that what I was told when purchasing from a local breeder, anyway she is suffering from what looks like hole in the head or head and lateral line erosion. I have medicated the tank with Esha Hexamita three times for the three days stated all a week apart and giving two 40% WC over three days after the treatment. I am getting nowhere and the holes around her head keep on coming. I used Esha Hex as from what I read it was great in treating for Hexamita which my angel has white stringy poo originally but is pooing completely normal now. She eats like a pig and is pretty active in my quarantine tank so she really doesn't seem ill at all.

0 ammonia
0 nitrite
5-10 nitrate
27.5*C
90L quarantine
Also she is 3 years old.
IMG_0900.jpgIMG_0901.jpg

And this is the healthy male in the main tank.
IMG_0114.jpg

I have treated hole in the head many times.

Though the debate is out on the exact cause Ill side with water condition and dietary on Oscars. With Angelfish ill go with stress and diet.

Either case early treatment is a must and isolation.

What I found to work is Metronidazole for whole in the head and Furan for the secondary infection or Maracyn.

The water temp also should be raised to 83 F to 85 F no higher. High protein foods and greens need to be in the diet.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply, I'm confident it can't be water conditions that has caused this or stress. I've not added any new fish for many months and I do 30% WC once a week without fail and it's a lightly stocked 65gal tank just housing two Angelfish (only one at the moment) a bristle nose Pleco, 10 cardinal tetras and 6 corys. I have a canister filter and two sponge filters running too. I have now upped the temp to 84F.

Is it a good idea to add salt?

Maybe the problem is not HIH disease, but is Mouth Rot. If so, adding salt would be a good idea. As long as your Angel fish is eating and acting normally things will probably be okay.

Never heard of that but just searched it on google and I think you're right she has some of her top lip missing. So if that is the case I need to lower the temp and add salt asap?
She is eating fine but struggling to get flakes off the surface.

Your Angel likely had an injury near the mouth and it got infected. I don't know if temp. Has much to do with this problem. IMO, If you treat the natural way, salt and super clean water you have about the same chances as using meds. If you chose to medicate again, I've read that Sea Chems Paragaurd is a good all round wide spectrum treatment that won't wipe out your BB. I don't believe Mouth Rot is particularly contagious. Good luck.

Thank you for your help!

I've just done a 40% WC and can't decide wether to add salt or Esha 2000 and Esha white spot or all three. I know Esha 2000 is a great fungus and bacteria treatment and Esha white spot can safely be used at the same time. Not 100% wether it is safe to use salt as well??
But according to everything I've read online it is recommended to lower the temp, to treat mouth rot, to as low as 24C for an Angelfish. I'll just do that gradually.

Just thought I’d update to anyone interested and for any future readers going through the same thing.

I failed saving the Angelfish in question. I done everything I could possibly think of, quarantine, research and medicate. I’m still not sure what I was battling with. Yesterday evening she stopped eating completely and I noticed a 3 inch hair like white poo hanging out of her, two hours later she was dead. I have no idea what caused this either so it is so frustrating. You can see on the pictures attached the putting around her face which wasn’t as visible when she was in the aquarium.
IMG_4812.jpgIMG_4811.jpg

Back
Top Bottom