What is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lima

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could use some help trying to decide what to do with this poor guy. A few days ago noticed him swimming oddly and what looked like some internal bruising or bleeding (hooray xray tetra can see right through him). It looked like maybe his liver to me and I thought maybe he'd gotten into it with another critter, but then a day or two later I noticed an open wound that seemed to be getting bigger. I decided to try some API general cure (metronidizole and praziquental) thinking maybe it was a parasite. He's acting perkier today but now it looks like he's got a fungus growing from the wound. Maybe a secondary fungal infection? But I still don't know what the original problem was. Or maybe it was fungus the whole time and the meds I used made it worse? I'm going to try to attach pictures and see if anyone has any ideas.

I just changed the water Friday but I admit it was a bit overdue (work, finals, blah blah blah). There was a teensy bit of ammonia (it's a well established tank so I know it was seriously in bad shape) and the nitrates were rather high...maybe 20. I did a 50% change and added the medicine.

If anyone has suggestions I appreciate it. I think my plan now is to add an antifungal...

Attachments

• 20180805_184923.jpg
    20180805_184923.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20180805_184913.jpg
    20180805_184913.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 46
I think putting him in a quarantine tank with an antifungal med is a good plan. Your nitrates aren't high if they are at 20 ppm.

Back
Top Bottom