what is this on my severum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AustinP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Fungus or parasite? It appears to be coming out from between the scales .

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120423_193637.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120423_193637.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 89
  • ForumRunner_20120423_193652.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120423_193652.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 102
it looks like 2 little cotton balls right next to each other, but it does not look like its on top of its scales (like other fungus pictures i've seen). it looks like its coming out from underneath the scales.

I am honestly not sure. My best guess is a fungus of some sort, but I am not positive about that. How long has it been there?

Last edited:
About a week. I had a white slime that only grew on the suction cups for my heater, could that have anything to do with this ?

FYI: Wild Severums are notorius for having parasites embedded in their flesh. What's surprising in your description is that these "bumps" are getting smaller. Usually, when a parasite comes to the surface of the flesh, it bursts through to escape the host to breed. You'll see a red area that you treat with an antibiotic and everything goes back to normal. The fact that they were fuzzy leads me to think that he may have actually injured the area and a small fungus ball developed. If the fish is healthy enough, it should all go away with you doing nothing.
IF the fuzzy ball was grey (not white) in color, it could be the virus Lymphocystus. Once again, wild severums often carry the virus. Physically removing the fuzz ball helps control the spread of the virus but don't be surprised if other fuzzys pop up. This would be a sign that your tank isn't as clean as it should be.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
thanks Andy,

Now that you have mentioned it i do remember seeing a small scrape in that same area about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks ago. If it doesn't get any better in a week would you recommend a do a fungus treatment ?

thanks Andy,

Now that you have mentioned it i do remember seeing a small scrape in that same area about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks ago. If it doesn't get any better in a week would you recommend a do a fungus treatment ?

Yes, treat the fish if it doesn't remedy itself. What you want to watch for is if the fuzz gets larger. That's a sign of a spreading disease. You mentioned that it was getting smaller so that should mean that the fish is getting better on it's own. I also wouldn't wait a week. If you see growth in the next day or 2, start meds. If the fuzz continues to shrink, let it be and keep a good eye on it. Any redness or inflamation means it's time for a good antibiotic. I like using Furan-2. It's good against both gram - and gram+ bacterias.

Keep us posted (y)

Glad to hear it :)

Update, Green Sev has cleared up with no treatment!

Thanks for the advice Andy!

Glad to hear things are back to normal. (y)

This is just another example of my favorite saying " The less you mess with it, the better the success with it." :D
(disclaimer: This philosophy works on a number of different situations but not on all. Careful diagnosis of all situations must be done to ensure proper results. Not all illnesses or wounds can be cured without medications. Consult a professional!)

:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

Back
Top Bottom