What is this white stuff on my hatchetfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hazarrd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a school of 6 hatchets around 1 week ago. I did not see this stuff on any of them until a few days ago. Now one has a lot of it and a second has a small amount. Nitrates and ammonia are 0. pH is around 7.

Thoughts? What should I do? Might it spread to others?

Attachments

• image-3397231039.jpg
    image-3397231039.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 90
  • image-223560457.jpg
    image-223560457.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 60
That is a fungal disease, if not treated swiftly , will spread quickly and kill your fish. Where exactly did you buy these fish from petco / petsmart? or a LFS?

Last edited:
Simple remedy is turning the temperature of the tank up to 82-85, get ahold of some fungus treatment medicine for the fish.

Keep in mind one of the most common ways to get this fungus is overfeeding the tank, which fish food settles and spoils in the water which promotes cloudiness and fungus growth.

Also do note any other fish you have in the tank make sure they can tolerate a increase in temperature, as most fish diseases cannot tolerate heat especially fungal type and ick.

Oh and do partial water changes as well every 2 days while treating them.

Last edited:
My main concern is whether my Denison Barbs and Hatchetfish can withstand the heat. Any idea?

Also, is there a specific brand that anyone can recommend? Preferably something that is sold at Petco.

well most tropical fish range from 60-82 , but again depends on species and how tolerant they can be.

Personal opinion gradually turn up the heat a degree a hour or so and watch how the fish react. If you see anything out of the ordinary that you see now. Then Id turn the temperature down, but I think you should be alright if you slowly increase the temperature to 82-85. Do it to fast you can put the fish into shock and lose them all. So gradually increase temperature and just keep a eye on the fish.

I recently got a case of ick and I turned the temperature up to 85 gradually and all fish are doing well and accounted for.

Barbs in general are pretty tough fish, hatchets aren't as durable as barbs, but that's my opinion.

You should be fine

Back
Top Bottom