What is wrong with this platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laynimie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is a 6 month old red wag platy fry. Ever since she was very small I noticed her tummy bulged a little, I just thought she would eat too much. Last night I didn't see her at feeding time. I figured she was hiding in the castle. Tonight, when I went to feed the fish her stomach was bulging in an odd shape. Sticking out in one area but not in another. You can see through it, I can see two black things inside her. Not sure if it's her organs or what. Water perimeter is great
No ammonia
Ph was med
Nitrates and nitrites were both fine as well.
She shares a ten gallon tank with 4 neon tetras, 1 one month old platy fry, and 1 more six month old platy fry. I moved her to a one gallon sick tank. Added a small amount of salt and put a little crushed pea in her tank in case she decided she wants to eat and maybe is bloated. I don't think it's dropsie but not 100% certain. Has anyone seen this?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1407907041350.jpg
    1407907041350.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 1407907064742.jpg
    1407907064742.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 77
what have you been feeding her
neons and platies need different water conditions
neons need very soft acid water platies prefer harder water with some salt in it
how old is the food your feeding them and is there extra on the tank bottom
I would destroy that fish it will not get better and bring it to a good lfs ( not pet smart or petco ) and see if they can tell whats wrong with it
Im guessing bloat , platies need lots of greens in there diet , most livebears do
a 6 month old platy is an adult if it is not full grown something is wrong , problly the wrong food

The fry and neons eat anything from peas, fish flake, blood worms, frozen baby brine shrimp. I didn't realize they couldn't eat the same food.

Sorry, the flakes and blood worms are probably about 3 months old, the frozen baby brine shrimp is in the freezer and I had the pack for about 6 months. Peas I use frozen and boil for 2 minutes about every 6 to 8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom