What Killed My Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
absolutangel04 said:
I honestly cannot tell what the spot is from the picture.
Is it fuzzy? Flat? How big is it?

That spot faded and no others showed up, so that isn't worrying me anymore.

After 2 doses, the molly is fairly active. Not quite what she was before, but I chalk that up to not having the energy after not eating.

The guppy is eating again, and the platy was ready for food this morning. Both, however, seen to have a slight spine distortion and swimming looks like its not easy for either. I honestly don't know how much of their looks are from lack of eating and how much might be from physical issues. I'm curious if there is any hope for them if in fact their spines are shot at correcting themselves, or at what point I should think about euthanizing them so they won't have to suffer....

Im glad the spot is gone! Watch the fish in question closely- unfortunately, spinal distortion is not a good sign & can be indicative of serious illness. I honestly would remove them to qt if you can. If you cant, be prepared because euthansia may be your only option if they dont recover. :(

Yea. I figured I'd do a third dose of parasite clear tonight, then give them the rest of the week to see any progress. Their eating, so I figure that's half the battle. If you think that they could be carriers of something else and need to be QT'ed asap, let me know

Yes, I believe 78 degrees is a minimum temperature for most fish.

Sorry, but this is untrue. The fish we keep in our tanks come from a wide range of habitats, many of them on the cool side. There are advantages to keeping a tank on the cool side of a fish's comfort zone. The dissolved oxygen content is higher in cooler tanks and the bacterial load tends to be less. I keep livebearers in unheated tanks which range from 66F to about 75F depending on time of year. White clouds and paradise fish do not need heated tanks. Many corys come from cooler waters also. "Tropical" fish do not all come from the tropics,and/or not all parts of the tropics are hot. When planning a community tank it is a good idea to stock fish with similar temp requirements.
As far as what the problem is here, it is difficult to say, but it would seem the water is not an issue.

Fish also live longer in the cooler temperatures of their acceptable range.
Namaste,
Gypsy

Back
Top Bottom