What killed my glofish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'm new to fishkeeping and my brother convinced me he new everything about setting up a fishtank. (Big mistake on my part) So 9 days ago we purchased a 10gallon fish tank, filter, air stone, a couple live plants, heater. We Filled up the tank and added dechlorinated water (tetrasafe) to the tank. We just let the water filter through for about 36 hours then I added 4 neons. (Another mistake) Went back the next day and added 2 glofish and 2 more neons. I didn't find out about cycling until just after this and the store I went to said they wouldn't take back the fish.

Have been doing 25% water changes a day. All fish were healthy and seemed to be doing ok. Tank hadn't yet begun to cycle and it was recommended from a LFS that I used tetra safestart to help it cycle faster for them. I put that in 2 days ago. Later that night one of my Glofish was staying mostly in one spot not moving in the middle of the tank. (Not active and hyper like it used to be) Then the next day it seemed to be better moving around until later that night I noticed it was up at the top almost like it couldn't down from the top of the tank with a curve in its spine. The next morning I found it stuck in one of my plants.

Currently the other glofish is fine and active and eating. The other tetras are also doing fairly fine although two of them have a ammonia poisoning I believe b/c of a little read behind their gills.

I've been told I'm not supposed to perform water changes on the tank until about 7 days after I put safestart in b/c the water will detect false readings and I may prolong the cycle.

Do you think this fish died b/c of the tank cycling or is it possible that he died from something else like TB? (Had no open sores, bulging eyes, just a little red behind his gills and his spine was a little curved where his tail was a little lower than it should be.)

I feel terrible about this and will never do a fish in cycle again but just want to see if I can take the best care of these fish.

Water is about 8.3 ph, water hardness is very soft and the alkalinity is about 240. Nitrite and Nitrates were not yet showing up and my ammonia levels were .25 before safestart.

Thank you for any help

Most likely he died from cycling. Unfortunately, if the other fish survive cycling, they will be crippled for life in some way. If doing a fish-in cycle, get some inexpensive, hardy fish that will at least survive the cycle. Good luck!

Hi and welcome!!! Ill post a link for you to read on fish-in cycling. Please ask any questions you may have! The best thing you can do fo your fish is to test the water daily & do water changes as needed to keep toxin levels in check. Water changes may need to be done daily or twice daily. I doubt the safe start product is helping anything other than emptying your wallet. All you need is a good water conditioner (such as Prime or Amquel Plus) and lots of water changes to keep your fish healthy until your tank is cycled. Adding some cycled media will help speed things along. Please dont hesitate to ask questions!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Back
Top Bottom