What makes fish swim nose up/down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My fish are fine, but all the fish at my lfs are unwell/ unhappy. As my great plan in life is to get a job there and make it the best lfs EVER I thought I'd better see what all the possibilities are :) most of them are swimming either nose up, or nose down, or are having trouble staying upright. Some are barrel rolling, and some are just upside down. It's heart breaking to see an I've often thought of telling them to sort it out. But if I don't know what's wrong with them I can't tell them to fix it.

Could it be ammonia? The stress of being transported? Sudden change in temperature or pH?

None of them seem to have ich which is really surprising! They have ich free clown loaches! Yet their goldfish tanks always have at least three that are dead or dying. Every time I bought fish from them (before I knew what I was doing) at least one died within 12 hours.

Any suggestions?

Fishies86 said:
My fish are fine, but all the fish at my lfs are unwell/ unhappy. As my great plan in life is to get a job there and make it the best lfs EVER I thought I'd better see what all the possibilities are :) most of them are swimming either nose up, or nose down, or are having trouble staying upright. Some are barrel rolling, and some are just upside down. It's heart breaking to see an I've often thought of telling them to sort it out. But if I don't know what's wrong with them I can't tell them to fix it.

Could it be ammonia? The stress of being transported? Sudden change in temperature or pH?

None of them seem to have ich which is really surprising! They have ich free clown loaches! Yet their goldfish tanks always have at least three that are dead or dying. Every time I bought fish from them (before I knew what I was doing) at least one died within 12 hours.

Any suggestions?

Yes it's probably their water parameters! As for ones that are upside down and barrel rolling, they could be constipation but most probably swimming bladder disorder (can't keep balance). And many more reason. Haha

I don't any more. I'm a bit stuck for choice now though. It's actually the best of only 3 that I can get to :( we had a fantastic one, but it closed down. I actually cried!

Do you know what causes swim bladder disorder?

Back
Top Bottom