Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2002, 01:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What medication you suggest for bacteria infection?

While i was feeding my fish this morning i found out 2 of the zebra danios have red belly and not swimming well. I took one of them to the LFS and the owner there think it is bacteria infection and sold me some Melafix. Right now and the red spot on the belly turn to white i don't know if the fish is getting better or worse. But i would to know what medication you guys suggest for bacterial infection, or any other medication for diseases like ich, fungal and parasites

And i think the bacteria infection in my tank is caused by the overfeeding and leftover food on gravel. I did water change and clean the gravels every week but it look like the leftover build up water than i can handle. So i was thinking could i get some scavenger fish after the disease is over and help me cleaning the gravels. It's a 20L tank with 6 Zebra danios and the Ph is 7.2, Ammonia 0.5 ppm (did a 20% water change after the water test to bring down the ammonia) and the nitrite is 0

Old 12-18-2002, 01:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to enjoyfish
Im sorry i cant really help you with the medication . but you said you have 6 zebra danios and 2 are sick . The two that are sick should be in a different tank if not already. Rid- ick is what i was told to use by a lot of people here and at my lfs , but they dont carry it ?

Old 12-18-2002, 01:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyfish
Im sorry i cant really help you with the medication . but you said you have 6 zebra danios and 2 are sick . The two that are sick should be in a different tank if not already. Rid- ick is what i was told to use by a lot of people here and at my lfs , but they dont carry it ?
I don't know they have Rid-ick or not. But the owner told me it is bacteria infection and recommend the Melafix (antibacteria-remedy) for me.

edit: It's too late, both of them just died. The rest of the fish looks fine though. Should i still add some medication for the next few days for prevention?
Old 12-18-2002, 08:58 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
sick fish

I have used Maracyn, Clout, and Tetracycline on bacterial infections with good results. For Ick, anything that uses malachite green seems to work well...I think this is the active ingredient in Rid Ick. For fungal infections, methelyene blue (not sure I spelled that correctly) usually works well. Be careful with the green and blue dyes though...they can stain some things. Best to have a hospital tank somewhere to treat the sick ones.
As to the scavengers, there aren't really any fish that you can just use to clean up. There are several bottom feeders available, but like most other fish, they need to be fed too...they won't get what they really need from leftovers. Cory cats are good bottom feeders as long as you supply some sinking pellets and maybe a snack of blood worms now and then. If you have algae, Otocinclus cats are good for that and they stay small. You must also feed them when there isn't enough algae in the tank for them to eat though.
Logan J
Old 12-18-2002, 09:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Somethingfishy Send a message via Yahoo to Somethingfishy
Well I use Melafix and if the red spot has turned white it means it is getting better. Melafix is nice because it is a herbal product for fish. It is brilliant. I used it on an Angel I rescued from the LFS, who had badly damaged fins as well as ICH.

I used it in conjunction with a product called Waterlife Protozin, for 7 days and all was gone, fins healed beautifully.

I am not sure if you can get the Waterlife product range there, but I am sure you would be able to buy the product you mentioned on-line from somewhere?

I would agree with Logan that you need to isolate them and treat them seperately. Good luck.

Tags
bacteria, infection, medication

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com