What?! Parasites have appeared in 5-month-old tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sauroposeidon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 1 African butterfly fish and 10 pygmy cories. No new introductions in months -- fish or plants. I noticed yesterday a cory was lethargic and swimming funny, occasionally having to flip himself right side up after barrel rolling a few times. I started looking into swim bladder disorder.

Tonight I noticed my butterfly fish with white poop -- either that or a worm about to bust out. (Is that even possible?) I'm a little perplexed. He was caught straight from the Congo at least 5 MONTHS AGO where I'm sure a fair amount of parasites reside though. Zero changes other than minor decor arrangements in the last few months. These are the first two signs of sickness I have seen.

First, I buy crickets from Petco. Could I have gotten a parasite there?

Second, I'm not prepared to quarantine a whole tank. I'm extremely careful making sure what I introduce is okay. If I'm dealing with a parasite, how do I treat the main tank without destroying beneficial bacteria?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396171635.010931.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396171688.435500.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396171704.099186.jpg

Back
Top Bottom