What temp for ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanz8anz

Aquarium Advice Activist
It is a possibilty that one of my fish is showing signs of ich.. some of the other fish have been skimming across plants but no white spots only one fish has something that may resemle white spots but im not 100% sure if it is ich spots but the fish has lost a bit of colour and is gettng hammered by the other fish. I want to avoid medication so what temp should i set the heater at to. It is currently at 26 degrees

Sent from my LG-E460f using Aquarium Advice mobile app

86 F is the preferred temp because it won't reproduce at 86. But, when I had Ick, I had it at 82 and used a natural treatment.

I have angels louches barbs kirbensis ans bristlenoses will these othsr fish tolerate that heat.. i dont really have the funds to get a treatment and the last time i treated the tank for cloudy eye my bristlenoses and barbs had a **** fit. I had been told after that that when medicating u should use a airstone.which i have now but im still a bit jaded on adding medication.. i do still have a bottle of pimafix antifungal which is what i used last time

It really doesnt look like white spots it looks more like tiny bits of his scales r missing. The only thing leading me to believe it is ich is the skimming across the plants and stones in the tank.. would u no what would cause that other than ich?

For ich, if it's not out of control, you don't need meds, frequent water changes and temp in mid 80s for two to three weeks.
Good luck!

It really doesnt look like white spots it looks more like tiny bits of his scales r missing. The only thing leading me to believe it is ich is the skimming across the plants and stones in the tank.. would u no what would cause that other than ich?

Could you post a pic? Ich treatment is done by increasing aeration and the temp up to 86. Any less and it won't work.

When treating ich, slowly raise your temp to 86 over the course of 6-8 hours to keep it safe and add 1 level tbsp of aquarium salt per 5g of tank water. Add an airstone to increase oxygen because the heat will depleted it faster. Do this for about a week after you see no signs of ich.

I have an airstone in there now.. it sounds dumb but i took the fish to the local fish shop and they said it was from the fish getting attacked by the otber barbs but as one other fish is skimming against something he said to treat like the ich in the tank to b on the safe side and to use a biological aqaurium cleaner to help clear any waste

I cant get a proper pic one cos the fish moves to fast and its actually quite hard to c even sitting right next to the aquarium

When treating ich, slowly raise your temp to 86 over the course of 6-8 hours to keep it safe and add 1 level tbsp of aquarium salt per 5g of tank water. Add an airstone to increase oxygen because the heat will depleted it faster. Do this for about a week after you see no signs of ich.

Salt is an unnecessary additive. The heat alone will kill the ich. Salt can also cause issues with plants, fish, and inverts.

Yea im not keen on the salt part i was gonna do a water change until i.was told to put the waste control in so im not sure how long to leave it before doing a water change so this should help clean the water up a bit.. we were sold a filter that wasnt big enough for our tank a few months ago even tho they told us it would b fine but yea its not which is making the water crappy so i have purchased a filter suitable for our tank so problems should stop and ive got the temp up a bit so am slowly increasing it so i think we maybe on the home stretch

Because of the time your tank as been under filtered your substrate has probably built up some bad organics. Try vacuuming the top 1cm of your substrate during water changes. Do half one time and the other half at next WC. Then do this about every 6 weeks as part of your cleaning routine. This is the natural way which is always preferable to the chemical way. No filter can completely remove all the stuff that settles into your substrate. OS.

We have been vacuuming the gravel been having to do it 2-3 times a week and getting nowhere it was a right pain the only reason for using the aquarium cleaner was because i was unsure when i was going to be able to obtain a new filter so wont need to use it again

We have been vacuuming the gravel been having to do it 2-3 times a week and getting nowhere it was a right pain the only reason for using the aquarium cleaner was because i was unsure when i was going to be able to obtain a new filter so wont need to use it again

Gravel is notorioius for collecting a lot of gunk. Underfiltered or not I would be surprised if the waste control product did anything useful.

Heat alone will kill it, but the temp needed is 86. When I had Ick, I couldn't even get my heater up to 84. IMO, 86 could be more dangerous than salt.

Salt+heat is probably the best to use :)

Thank you. It has never failed me so ill stick with it. Salt doesn't hurt your fish nor your plants. It can startle a few scale-less fish but its a very beneficial additive that most all fish can benefit from.

Back
Top Bottom