What the heck is this on my molly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
molly-1-face-fw.jpg

This molly turned like this a few weeks ago. I now its mating season and all my males are going nuts for her but what is with the white patch on her head? She used to be all orange except for her belly.

Does the patch seem fuzzy or have scales sticking out from it? I can't tell from the pictures. Also what are your water parameters?

I have several mollies in 2 tanks and my are adapted to no salt due to their tank mates. They are colorful and healthy. Perhaps I've just been lucky but I have had them for almost a year in one tank and 6 months in the other.

Do you have other fish than mollies in there? Mollies do great with salt but some other fish do not. For example neon tetras do not tolerate salt. African dwarf frogs definately do not tolerate salt.

2 silver dollars
4 mollies
1 platy
1 zebra danio
3 neon tetras
2 angels
1 pleco
2 head/taillight

As far as I know they should be ok with salt. Although I am completely unfamiliar with the silver dollars and their tolerance. Perhaps someone else will chime in their 2 cents on that fish. You could try using half the salt recommended on the packaging and keep an eye on the fish to see how they are tolerating it. If some of the fish seem to not tolerate it well, do a water change.

I've had mollies with no salt as well that were just fine, I wouldn't attribute a sudden change like that to lack of salt, especially if there has always been lack of salt. From what I understand, you can put 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons with any fish. I even had that combo with snails and thy all did fine.

Everything seems fine... no problems besides what I can see of the color change on the head.

Back
Top Bottom