what to add, what to add

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supafreak

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok, my tank is cycled. ammonia and nitrates are almost nill.
I wanted to have german rams, but my ph is at about 8.2 and my general hardness is around 12. This is no ideal for rams. Can anyone give me advice on how to soften my water, and bring my ph down? My conditios are ideal for rift lake cichlids, but the tank is only 25g. i'm open to suggestion on other fish that would thrive in these conditions. I have experience with many cichlids, but wanted to try something that i'v never done before. What about gourami? would they like it here?

You could use peat or bogwood or RO water, or a combination to soften your water for rams, but if you find some locally that are doing well, they are likely already acclimatised to your local water conditions.

ammonia and nitrates are almost nill.
Ammonia and nitrItes should be undectable in a cycled tank. NitrAtes can be up to 40ppm for most fish.
Kribs are African and you could definately keep a pair in a 25 gal. They are quite colorful. I will own some kribs one of these days, but there's no room right now.

Kribs are a great choice, are colorful, active, and are much hardier than rams (in general, at least around here). For rams I would wait until you have a nice mature tank with extremely stable water.

Speaking of Kribs I just got a male today. It is in the 20 long. They didnt have any females. Hope to get one next week. They take a wide ph range. Talked up a lot as a great beginer cichlid. Brichardi and yellow labs are good beginer cichlids as well. A pair of them plus a school of fast tetras or danios would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom