What to do???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annielauri

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a redwag platy who is a glutton for punishment. She has about a 1/4 of her tail bit off by her tankmates. She also has a sore spot on her side that looks like the scales are missing. She doesn't shy away from the other fish though. She actually will go up to the ones that jab at her and presents them with her sore side??? I have 4 mollies, 3 albino cories, and 3 other platies in with her. Even the tiniest fish of all is picking on her. Would it be best to let nature take it's course and see what happens? Or would it be more humane to try to rehome her, or even euthanize her???

Well.. you may want to isolate her and then try to heal her with melafix. The tail will probably grow back and the scales will probably return. It sounds like you have some dominance issues in that tank. Which fish are the ones picking on her?

I think it started with my male platy. Quite frankly, I don't think there is a single one of them (mollies and platies) that I haven't seen jabbing at her in the past few days. The weird thing is, she just goes up and gets in their face??? Even this little itty bitty platy I have was chasing her off tonight?

Perhaps she is one of those "close talker" types and just bugs the crap out of all the other fish? LOL I work with disabled and autistic people, and we are constantly talking about giving others "space".

QT'ing the fish and treating with melafix/pimafix would be the best way to have her heal. If not she may end up getting an infection and not making it. What size tank is it?

It is a 20 gal. tank. I don't have the $ right now for a QT tank. :( Just got a nice $800 bill from the doc, that insurance won't be covering. She is eating fine, swimming fine and acting like everything is perfectly normal. I put some salt in the water and have turned the heat up just a tad. Running about 82. Is that ok?

You can make an inexpensive QT tank. Here is an article explaining how to make one. Turning up the heat isn't necessary IMO. Clean water and plenty of hiding spots and maybe a couple more hours lights out will help.

Back
Top Bottom