What to do about ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WRLeGrand

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a relative novice at aquariums, but I've had my little boys tank for over a year. We purchased two new fish about two weeks ago and now all 5 platys have white spots. I know from research that it is ich.

Do I buy a chemical? Or is there a natural method to save these fish?

Thanks so much!

Slowly adjust the temp to 86 degrees. I do 2 degrees every few hours. There are some articles on this site about the life cycle of ich which is a parasite. There are ich meds, the Kordon brand Herbal Ich doesn't work in the least. Malachite green can be used and something by Mardel called Quick Cure is supposed to be good. I have one tank with ich and I tried the heat treatment a few weeks ago and it came back. There are resistant strains I guess. Now I am trying this stuff at half strength because of a pleco in the tank. Actually I'm using a combo of this med and heat. If it were me I'd try heat first in its own. Some people add aquarium salt.

You may want to quarantine new fish for several weeks before adding them to your main tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1441943051087.jpg
    1441943051087.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 44
I would go with the chemical and heat unless you are like anti-chemical person. There's ways to do it with heat and daily PWCs but why not go to Walmart and buy some quick cure with malachite green (Victoria). Kills fast. The heat method you could loose your fish before the parasite...

The med in the pic does contain malachite green

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Was not trying to doubt your advice breanne, I simply do not read everyone else's post I just read the OPs and offer my own 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom