What treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my rainbowfish have what looks like colomnaris on the mouth. One just always gets a little beard of skin and now the other one looks like his lips are deteriorating. I also have a preacox neon rainbow that appears to have dropsy. What is the best treatment at this time? I have been changing the water 20% every two days and my levels are great.

My main question is should I use a parasite or fungus medication?

Thank you.

Mike

When I had my fight with columnaris I tried most recommended medications without success, the only medication that worked for me was Fungus Clear by Jungle. Drop the temp down into the mid to low 70's and treat with 2-3 rounds. It's cheap and can be easily found at Walmart.

HUKIT said:
When I had my fight with columnaris I tried most recommended medications without success, the only medication that worked for me was Fungus Clear by Jungle. Drop the temp down into the mid to low 70's and treat with 2-3 rounds. It's cheap and can be easily found at Walmart.

That's what I was going to go for. How did your fish handle it?

That's what I was going to go for. How did your fish handle it?

This was a lifesaver literally, I had a nasty outbreak that claimed 15 fish before I could stop it with fungus clear. I was even seeing secondary infections like popeye which was quickly cleared up within a couple days of dosing. But to your question the fish were fine with treatment but your silicone may not be, it may turn it a slight greenish blue for awhile.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
This was a lifesaver literally, I had a nasty outbreak that claimed 15 fish before I could stop it with fungus clear. I was even seeing secondary infections like popeye which was quickly cleared up within a couple days of dosing. But to your question the fish were fine with treatment but your silicone may not be, it may turn it a slight greenish blue for awhile.

Great!! I haven't lost a fish yet but I know I am. I know one has droopsy and im guessing its a secondary infection. I can't stand having perfect levels do a pwc all the time great filtration and I still get junk ( for lack of a better word I can't post on here) ;)

HUKIT said:

One more question.....I think, is that medication safe on the Bio filtration?

I'll be honest most of my tanks have been up for years so I can't recall the last time I actually checked water parameters, with weekly 60% water changes I've never felt a need to check. So I can't answer that question, but if I had to guess I'd say it's safe.

Back
Top Bottom