What wrong with my Peppered Cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Louise0328

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

Okay, so i was currently in the process of stocking my 29 gallon planted tank. I added 3 new peppered cory cats to keep my other two company. Well, a week later one has died and another is ill! :(

My mother and i have sat there and watched his behavior for several days. He seems to swim more in the mid levels of the tank. He will sit at the bottom or float in a corner vertically. When he does sit on the bottom he keeps the back half of his body elevated slightly.

He has just gotten the extreme pale body and torn tail over the past couple of days but it was just one spot and then it just kept spreading over his body. Also, not shown in the picture, his right eye seems to be sunken into his head.

I have no idea what might have killed the other cory... i thought maybe just the stress of moving into a new tank. I will attach a photo of my ill cory cat. I'm sorry its sideways... I took with my phone and sent it to my email...

I feed my cories bottomfeeder pellets and the clean up everything the other fish don't catch.

cory cat issues.jpg

Never mind. I found him laying on his back. But still breathing I don't know what to do... He might be dead whe n I get home from school... Who knows.... ?

Aw sorry, saw this late. :( . You can euthanize him if you are able. Placing him in a bowl of freezing water right before it's ice, then into the freezer is a pretty quick way. He looks like he may have a bacterial infection. Watch the other fish for symptoms, as these can be very contagious.

Thanks so much. If he isn't dead when I get home I will probably euthanize him. I'll watch the other fish for symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom