What's Going On?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atlantis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was watching my fish in my 10gal planted tank today and I noticed something out the ordinary. My Rosy Barb was acting funny. It is losing color like it is stressed out and is hanging out towards the bottom of the tank. I also noticed it has a white bulge behind it's stomach. I've attached some pictures, but they don't really show the bulge well.

My tank inhabitants are:
1 Buenos Aires Tetra
3 Rosy Barbs
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco
1 Otocinclus

fish1.jpg
fish2.jpg

I would put the fish in a Q tank as not to infect the other fish if it is contiguous. It looks like a fungus to me. I would medicate the fish for fungus, and if it doesn't help, go for a parasite cure. through the food preferably, but medicating the water would do ok. could you describe the bulge? hard, soft, fuzzy, internal,?ect.
It will help to pinpoint the ailment.

It is white and when I look at it closely, part of it seems to be semi-transparent white. The bulge is internal and appears to be hard.

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the beset of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Back
Top Bottom