What's the proper amount of salt for ich treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is 1 teaspoon per gallon about right? I see varying amounts when I search Google so I'm not sure who to believe. I don't want to over-do things.

Mostly Cardinals and Rummy Nose. Tossed in are a Keyhole, Endler's Livebearer, Harlequin Rasbora, Burmese Loach, Glowlight, Pleco, Upsidedown Catfish. And a couple of Clown Loaches, Redeyes, and Neons.

Scaleless fish like your loaches may not do too well with the high salt levels indicated in some ich treatrments. I'd just increase the temperature to 86 degreees for a week. Quite a few people on this forum have had good results with this method.

You're back, Holly! Where you been?

Ooh, glad to hear you have Endler's-s.

As I understand it, 1 teaspoon per gallon is what is recommended for general health of the fish. You can probably double that without hurting the fish. It'll still be well below the salinity of seawater (~4%).

Personally, I've treated ich most effectively with heat treatment. I brought the tank up to 86 for 2+ weeks and it killed the ich dead. :wink: Concurrent use of salt and heat is prob. a good idea, though.

poikilotherm said:
Scaleless fish like your loaches may not do too well with the high salt levels indicated in some ich treatrments. I'd just increase the temperature to 86 degreees for a week. Quite a few people on this forum have had good results with this method.

Your supposed to keep it there for 3 weeks minimum.

I kept my tank at 88 for a month, I didn't want the nasty little parasites coming back.

For disease treatment 1 tsp per 1 gal is what the directions on the back of my bag of salt says.

General conditioning of the water for tropical fish is 1 tsp per 5 gal. I read somewhere to use about half that if you have live plants. This should help keep the Ich from coming back.

2 tsp per 1 gal for livebearers.

If you have live plants in your tank, be careful how much salt you add or you will damage/kill plants. I've always used the heat method around 86'ish for a couple of weeks. Remember to slowly increase temps gradually, so you don't stress the fish.

Sadly, heat may affect certain plants, too! Crypts are very senditive to heat change. I found my cabombas were, too.

Hey Holly, it's great to see you back here :D !!!

Aquarium salt is nothing more than non-iodized salt. I buy it as Kosher salt in the super market. It's so much less expensive that way.

Back
Top Bottom