what's up with my guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Feed very little if you can. Maybe catch her in a net and keep her there until they are done eating? That's what I would do. :) Salt is amazing!

Yes i found it very weird!!! I will try that for tomorrow or when i feed tonight

Do you think it could be a tapeworm or other parasite? Anal prolapse just does not clear up on its own. Keep an eye on her and the other fish. If they start to loose weight or look sick I would treat with Paraguard or other wormer.

In a 10 gallon tank, 2 tablespoons at a time is all you should need. With as much as you added your tank is on its way to brackish. Do a big water change and don't add more salt for a couple of days. Salt doesn't evaporate and when you keep adding to it without water changes it just accumulates. The salt will help with parasites too. They do not like salt.

If your big fish is taking all the food you can buy some floating pellets that are too large for her to eat and put them in to distract her. My larger mollies are food hogs too. I add three or four floating large pellets and they stay after that while the other small food sinks and the little fish can eat. Mine will not give up on the large pellets until they fall apart. By that time the others have eaten.

No i believe it is anal prolapse.. its like a tube that sticks out.. and she poops threw it. Its like part of her skin not a worm or anything. I was not fully gone this morning, there was a little bump kinds like you would see if a baby was about to pop out but then it turned back into the full on 'tube' sticking out. I wish i could get a good picture of it!! So far they have not been losing any weight either. She has had it for a few days and all the other fish are still fine. The three females were bought from the Same tank and everything so if one has it the others would have it by now. She is pooping brown poop right now.. its not always white so i believe it to not be a parasite. If it were a worm wouldn't it come out and be skinny? She poops really thick! Its crazy lol.

Also for the salt... i have already added the 10 tsp for today. There is 20 tsp in there right now. I was told a few years ago that guppies didn't mind salt. Yes this is appt but with it only being in there for a few days it should be fine. I think i am only going to stay with this 20tsp and leave it like that for a few days. If it were dangerous i think the babies would be first to go and they are active and doing great right now. Is that enough salt for a treatment?

It probably is sufficient. It can seem like it's too much salt, but since they have scales and are hardy fish, is not so bad. In order to kill any parasites it has to be high enough.

It probably is sufficient. It can seem like it's too much salt, but since they have scales and are hardy fish, is not so bad. In order to kill any parasites it has to be high enough.

Hmmmm... should i add another 10tsp today? Its still hanging out lol

Today is the third day? You are supposed to. ;) I hope it helps her. I don't know what else you could do for her otherwise

Today is the third day? You are supposed to. ;) I hope it helps her. I don't know what else you could do for her otherwise

Alright. Yes i think its the third day. I only put in 10tsp over a span of an hour once a day. I am sick, sorry i can't think :p

Back
Top Bottom