what's up with my guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariah

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have three female guppies that have been 'squared off' for a while now. The biggest guppy, has a thing sticking out. It looks like poop but it's not. Its like a tube.. i had guppies a year ago and had about 200. I don't think i have ever seen this. The picture is hard to see since my phone camera isn't good and she doesn't stay still. She is still eating great and is social. What is it?

ForumRunner_20140218_181847.jpg

I am really dredging my memory for what someone called this, like an anal prolapse or something? I remember someone talking about.
I don't want to google it because I don't want to accidentally get picture returns of humans with this problem. I really really don't.
Also I don't know that's what it is, I am just guessing.

I am really dredging my memory for what someone called this, like an anal prolapse or something? I remember someone talking about.
I don't want to google it because I don't want to accidentally get picture returns of humans with this problem. I really really don't.

Yeah please don't search it XD

I did Google it. I made sure to put the word guppy in there!!! No human butts :p that does look like it.. it just said to feed veggies and things... i do over feed a bit because of the babies in there. I did feed them things soaked in garlic a few days ago to try and get their poop to not be white. Now its this... maybe I'm not meant to have guppies again! :( can this spread???

Hi Mariah! :wave:
Has the prolapse gone away yet? If not, I would suggest that you give her a salt bath. If you have a hospital tank that you can transport her into, that would be best, but if not, then it won't harm the other fish- as long as you DON'T have any invertebrates or scaleless fish in there! A salt bath is actually beneficial for fish that can handle them because it causes the fish to produce slime which helps to heal, protect, and alleviate stress. The salt bath should help to bring back the rectum into place because it will relieve any inflammation that is keeping the prolapse outside the body.
To give a salt bath treatment:
Days 1 - 3: add I teaspoon of salt per gallon of water, every morning and every night. (2 teaspoons /gallon/day)

Days 4 - 7: Leave water alone.

Days 8 - 10: Remove half of the tank water each day and replace with unsalted, chlorine-free water at the correct temperature.

If by day 7 you see any improvement (but not a total cure), wait until day 10 to start changing the water in the tank. Be sure to change half the water once a day, for three days at the end of the salt treatment. Also, don't wait longer than 10 days to start changing the water, as the salt itself can begin to cause problems for your fish.

There is obviously some underlying problem, which could sometimes be caused because she gave birth recently, or because of a different problem. It could be related to Hexamita, which has symptoms of white/clear poo and prolapsed rectum. You can cure it with an anti-parasitic medication, but this article makes a good point: Hexamita and Spironucleus. It says that it could be caused by a mineral deficiency. While this might be a bit far-fetched, it's a good idea to keep this in mind, if the salt bath or any anti-parasitic medication doesn't clear it up. :) I hope that it clears up quickly for your little fishies!
The reason I thought about hexamita, is because I recall that you said you had discus in the tank prior to having the guppies in there, and you did mention that they had the white poo (in another thread). Hexamita is the same protozoa as Hole in the Head disease (HITH), which occurs in larger fish, especially in oscars and in cichlids- like discus. So if the tank had any protozoa that causes HITH, it is a possibility that your guppies are affected with it as well. With smaller fish, like guppies, the same protozoa affects them a little differently, so this kind of explains the difference between hexamita and HITH. Same protozoa, different symptoms displayed. :nono: Anyway, I don't want to scare you with that, so I'll stop right there. Sorry for going on and on! ;)

Hi Mariah! :wave:
Has the prolapse gone away yet? If not, I would suggest that you give her a salt bath. If you have a hospital tank that you can transport her into, that would be best, but if not, then it won't harm the other fish- as long as you DON'T have any invertebrates or scaleless fish in there! A salt bath is actually beneficial for fish that can handle them because it causes the fish to produce slime which helps to heal, protect, and alleviate stress. The salt bath should help to bring back the rectum into place because it will relieve any inflammation that is keeping the prolapse outside the body.
To give a salt bath treatment:
Days 1 - 3: add I teaspoon of salt per gallon of water, every morning and every night. (2 teaspoons /gallon/day)

Days 4 - 7: Leave water alone.

Days 8 - 10: Remove half of the tank water each day and replace with unsalted, chlorine-free water at the correct temperature.

If by day 7 you see any improvement (but not a total cure), wait until day 10 to start changing the water in the tank. Be sure to change half the water once a day, for three days at the end of the salt treatment. Also, don't wait longer than 10 days to start changing the water, as the salt itself can begin to cause problems for your fish.

There is obviously some underlying problem, which could sometimes be caused because she gave birth recently, or because of a different problem. It could be related to Hexamita, which has symptoms of white/clear poo and prolapsed rectum. You can cure it with an anti-parasitic medication, but this article makes a good point: Hexamita and Spironucleus. It says that it could be caused by a mineral deficiency. While this might be a bit far-fetched, it's a good idea to keep this in mind, if the salt bath or any anti-parasitic medication doesn't clear it up. :) I hope that it clears up quickly for your little fishies!
The reason I thought about hexamita, is because I recall that you said you had discus in the tank prior to having the guppies in there, and you did mention that they had the white poo (in another thread). Hexamita is the same protozoa as Hole in the Head disease (HITH), which occurs in larger fish, especially in oscars and in cichlids- like discus. So if the tank had any protozoa that causes HITH, it is a possibility that your guppies are affected with it as well. With smaller fish, like guppies, the same protozoa affects them a little differently, so this kind of explains the difference between hexamita and HITH. Same protozoa, different symptoms displayed. :nono: Anyway, I don't want to scare you with that, so I'll stop right there. Sorry for going on and on! ;)

Wow that is long! :p its a lot of good information though. I have three female guppies in the 10g and 5 five day old molly fry. I had two cichlids in there before. Were they pooping white? I don't remember. All i remember is they were swimming weird like an S. I treated with api general parasite cure. I only have epsom salt... no aquarium salt. My niece threw it all in a bucket of water... i dnot have money right now for anything either. Will epsom salt work? That sounds like a lot of salt...!

Epsom salt will work. Salt used to be the first and only go-to remedy for curing diseases in fish.
:D

An anal prolapse will not just disappear. In larger animals a vet can push it back in and add a few dissolving stitches to help it stay in place until it reattaches. In a fish, I would think that would be very hard. You could try to push it back in but that would probably cause more damage than do any good. She can still give birth but will more than likely die soon after. The anal tissue will become infected and she may become blocked. I would wait for her to give birth and then euthanize her. She will not recover and will die slowly otherwise. It really sucks when things go wrong with fish.

Epsom salt will work. Salt used to be the first and only go-to remedy for curing diseases in fish.
:D

So far i have 10 tsp in the tank... i will add another 10 tonight. There will be a total or 60 tsp of salt in there??? That seems like a huggggeee amount...

The usual salt dose is 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. 60, unless it is a big tank, is a lot. You are supposed to do a water change before adding the next dose of salt because it builds up in the tank.

The usual salt dose is 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. 60, unless it is a big tank, is a lot. You are supposed to do a water change before adding the next dose of salt because it builds up in the tank.

Its a 10g. I don't understand what you are saying. There is 10 tsp in there now.. what should i do?

Okay. I only put in 10 tsp yesterday. I am going to put in 10 tsp today i think. It was weird... i woke up this morning, it looked like the anal prolapse was almost gone. As she ate it slowly went out farther and farther.. its now back to normal... what should i do? I can't just not feed them because i have babies in there and the one with the problem is the biggest and eats the most

Feed very little if you can. Maybe catch her in a net and keep her there until they are done eating? That's what I would do. :) Salt is amazing!

Do you think it could be a tapeworm or other parasite? Anal prolapse just does not clear up on its own. Keep an eye on her and the other fish. If they start to loose weight or look sick I would treat with Paraguard or other wormer.

In a 10 gallon tank, 2 tablespoons at a time is all you should need. With as much as you added your tank is on its way to brackish. Do a big water change and don't add more salt for a couple of days. Salt doesn't evaporate and when you keep adding to it without water changes it just accumulates. The salt will help with parasites too. They do not like salt.

If your big fish is taking all the food you can buy some floating pellets that are too large for her to eat and put them in to distract her. My larger mollies are food hogs too. I add three or four floating large pellets and they stay after that while the other small food sinks and the little fish can eat. Mine will not give up on the large pellets until they fall apart. By that time the others have eaten.

Back
Top Bottom