Whats wrong? This is crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kalikingsmoke

Aquarium Advice Activist
My fish looked fine yesterday now today he looks like this what in the world could of happened??
agameva8.jpg
ytu8ehuq.jpg
2ypumysa.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This same thing happened to my rainbow shark one day looked fine next day or 2 looked simmilar then died

it looks like his scales are almost all gone also.... my tanks cycled. ive been having this problems ever since i changed from gravel to sand... all my kuli loaches died... any dinosour bichir i get dies within a week or too my crayfish has died after having him for months.... all the other fish seem fine though... i do my waterchanges weekly i vacumme the sand... this is depressing.

That's really weird :(. What are your parameters? What kind of sand did you put in?

In pic #1 it looks like you have african cichlids. African cichlids are aggressive and some are extremely aggressive. Your african cichlids most likely did that to your goldfish. You should either make a separate take for your cichlids or get rid of them, sorry but they don't belong with goldfish they are just to aggressive.

i dont know i dont have anymore test strips i put in playsand i washed it good... i did this like a month and a half ago... if i did mini cycle shouldent it be done by now? ive been putting stress zyme in.

its one of the goldfish out of the many i had when i cycled the tank. only 2 survived i had nothing else to do with them and know no one else with fish so i just kept them they have all been co existing for 6 months now.

It's possible that switching to sand caused a mini cycle. Try large water changes for a few days to see if that helps.

It would really be lasting this long?

It depends. Did you remove the filter media as well or are you still using the same media?

Goldfish are cold water fish and cichlids are tropical. They really do not belong in the same tank.

I'm afraid there seems to be a multitude of problems here. If I were you I would return all of the remaining fish and write down a plan of what kind of fish you want to keep.

Present your plan along with your tank size and stock to the members on here and they will help you to choose the correct stocking from the fish you like.

When you are happy with your plan we can help you make the tank safe for fish by cycling the tank.

With respect, there are too many problems here to be able to sort out and I feel that it's best for everyone if the fish are returned until we can figure out a plan.

Ill get ride of the goldfish I have to many cichlids and care much more for them.

Its not like its new. I have had tgis set up for well over 8 months same fish and all. It wasnt untill I changed my gravel for sand all began to go bad.

Just a theory but I think the cichlids became more active and territorial when you switched the gravel to sand. African Cichlids love to scoop up sand and make a crater in it to breed and stuff. This might have increased the aggression in the tank. Again just a theory.

could they have really done that too the fish? i mean both front fins seem to be gone all the rest look just like bone and almost every scale is gone. but there seems like no bleeding or punctures or anything.

Theres also alot of brown algea growing everywere

Could that have anything to do with any of this?

Can you post a pic of the algae? It might help but I don't think algae would hurt the fish. Is it possible that a chemical was accidentally introduced?

Back
Top Bottom