Whats wrong with my Discus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMAN12

Aquarium Advice Freak
My discus is eating but on the side of its body it has some white slime what is it? Is it good? Please help

021112174223.jpg

021112174241.jpg

021112174249.jpg

EMAN12 said:
My discus is eating but on the side of its body it has some white slime what is it? Is it good? Please help

It's probably a parasite or bacterial infection. I would medicate it as soon as possible. If you have any other fish(that aren't sick) I would take him out and quarantine in another tank ASAP.

Some of my cardinal tetras have anchor worms but what the discus has doesnt look like anchor worms.

Ok well you should most likely medicate the whole tank.

I'm not sure wat that could be, u could try a little aquarium salt about 1/2 recommended dose b/c of ur plants and discus natural salt levels and there is also an antiseptic API melafix that's pretty good.. Worth looking into clears up most anything

If ur not running peat or using a black water that might help but idk ur tank... I had that problem with 2of my discus before 1made it the other didn't :(

OBEYtheFISH said:
What is the temp in your tank & the conditions of your water?

I havnt checked my nitrate and ammonia but the temp is at 80f and the oh is at 5.6

Mr. D said:
I'm not sure wat that could be, u could try a little aquarium salt about 1/2 recommended dose b/c of ur plants and discus natural salt levels and there is also an antiseptic API melafix that's pretty good.. Worth looking into clears up most anything

I'm using melafix and It's working a little bit.

Okay, fingers crossed... And 80F is kinda low but still okay, maybe u could bump to 82F... But if u feel 80 is good then I guess jus leave it at 80, 82 is just what I keep mine at

Maybe I'm going to raise the temp because I have a plant that needs cool water.

Mumma.of.two said:
Remove the plant then. The discus needs come first.

Yea im going to have to move my plant to my other tank.

Yeah they say between 82-86 but if u have other fish like neons or rainbows they might die but with discus only 84-86 is pretty good

Mr. D said:
Yeah they say between 82-86 but if u have other fish like neons or rainbows they might die but with discus only 84-86 is pretty good

Yea I don't want my cardinal tetras to die. I have 30 of them.

I'd say 82 then and watch close to make sure they good... Never had them but i know neons are pretty close and mine started dying when I had the tank at 84 when I first got my discus

Back
Top Bottom