When do i decide to euthanize my guppy? :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquariu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there. I have a female guppy that has been battling some kind of disease or infection for the past 3 or 4 months! It first started as swollen tail. About the size of a pea. After about two weeks a white, cottony growth appeared. But I had to fly out of state for about 10 days for a funeral so my husband just fed the fish every other day (since I wouldn't be there for the routine weekly water change) I come back and she is a wreck. Her back started bending and I could tell I needed to do something. I put her in a gallon QT (all I have) and treated her with pimafix for a 2weeks and she perked right up. Gained her color back and she wasn't hunched anymore but her tail was still swollen.
I know a gallon isn't much but I like this fish so much that I feed her one bite of food at a time so none floats to the bottom.
I also treated her with melafix to try and get her tail to heal but after about two weeks if treatment the meds lost its effects and the cottony growth seems to have grown even larger! She was still eating and active. I tried the salt treatment for her too for 10 days but last night I realized she has turned for the worse. She can't swim right. I tried giving her a bite and she tried to eat but kept missing the food and sank to the bottom and stayed there. Keep in mind I've kept that QT tank in very clean conditions. Anyways last night I realized when she tries to swim it looks like a mini seizure and she has no control :( I figured she be dead by morning but I come in and she is still alive and her gills aren't as red and she isn't gasping for air but she still can't swim or eat.

Water reads nitrates and nitrites and ammonia are 0. Temp is 78. PH I low but I've had her a over a year with no problems it's 6.8

She lives in a 29 gallon with 3 other guppies and 5 neons and one sunset guarami. All these fish have lived in a peaceful environment for a year now. The 29 gallon has a power filter of 55gph.

What do I do? I have worked so hard to save her but nothing has worked and she seems to really wanna live so I will fill guilty killing her.

Attachments

• image-2563290545.jpg
    image-2563290545.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 95
Oh and I didn't combine the salt treatments with the melafix and pimafix treatments. That was separate cuz the meds loss effectiveness

I am not familiar with this affliction, but it looks like you've done anything and everything you could. It's always sad to lose a pet, and no life is disposable, but I think quality of life for this poor girl will not likely improve. If she can't eat, she may be too far gone.
Really sorry :-(

Back
Top Bottom