when to call it(betta)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spiketooth

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got this betta from someone who left and he had fin rot really bad. I started treating right away. There has been no improvment and have lost his tail fin. He can still get around a little. Also have to have the filter on the lowest settings so he does not get pushed around. All he does it sleep eat and poop. Does not swimg around, just sleeps. Should i try to keep him or is it time to call it?

Maybe post a pic of him so more experienced people (not me) can take a look to get a better idea about his quality if life and possible treatment etc. Good luck, hope u get some helpful advice.

He's pretty despite his fin damage. How are you currently treating him? I didn't see that info. in your post.

Yes looks like a nice betta. Im sure if you just make sure your Betts is in nice clean water it will come around. Normally good water parameters is al fin rot needs but sometimes you can add salt. 1 tbsp per 5gallons

Treating with fib rot meds, turns the water orange. My only concern is the damage goes past the fin i will post a better pic with my camera instead of mt cell phone

I wouldn't give up on the little guy as long as fish are eating they can still be saved (usually) it takes awhile for fins to grow back just keep up with the water changes ..... Idk what meds your using but I heard a lot of people like maracyn-II or ... milafix and pimafix together you could also try the salt but I have never done that(always a little scared I'd put to much)

I wouldn't give up on the little guy as long as fish are eating they can still be saved (usually) it takes awhile for fins to grow back just keep up with the water changes ..... Idk what meds your using but I heard a lot of people like maracyn-II or ... milafix and pimafix together you could also try the salt but I have never done that(always a little scared I'd put to much)

Thanks, i will keep treating him, keep with the water changes every three days as thats what the meds call for, i dont have maracyn, milafix and pimafix were i am at. also your profile picture creeps me out

If you think your putting to much salt in just do 1 tbsp per 10gal. It will still do the same job. Llike I said. He will recover by himself as long as you keep him in good clean water. Also all of his fins might not grow up... The bones in the fins cannot grow back. I believe people call them rays but they are bones so ya... It looks like he was an awesome betta. Hopefully he will still look amazing. What meds are you using? You don't need them though. How long have you being treating with them?

Thanks hobgob ill try it next time but hopefully won't have to LOL..... Didn't know about the bones though thanks for that ..... So yes basically we are in agreement to not give up and keep good water he really is beautiful and hope he pulls through ... As for the picture lol it was my Halloween costume last year but I didn't have any pics of my tank

Thanks hobgob ill try it next time but hopefully won't have to LOL..... Didn't know about the bones though thanks for that ..... So yes basically we are in agreement to not give up and keep good water he really is beautiful and hope he pulls through ... As for the picture lol it was my Halloween costume last year but I didn't have any pics of my tank

Hey no problem. Cories are iffy with salt. Something to do with their boyancy so I use 1 per 10 and also some people say plecos can't have salt. But imo I havent had an issue with bristlenose plecos.

I do not know how to read that... I am sorry and I have not seen them before. Im not tryin to be rude or anything but does your filter have carbon in it? Carbon is used to remove chemicals like meds from the water... If you have it that could be an issue. Try and remove it and put in some poly. Seapora makes a nice sheet of it. Also you might want to try not using meds. This is really far fetched here but maybe the meds are to strong for your betta and stressing it out.

Hmmm, I have no idea what that med is. Is it an anti biotic? If you've been treating for 3 wks & its not improving but getting worse I'd change to something else like strictly the Aq salt & good clean conditioned warm water. Do NOT use Melafix or Pemafix if you do find it, it is controversial with Bettas because it contains an ingredient that is said to coat the labyrinth organ & kill them. Did you say if you're testing your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? I know you're doing water changes every 3 days but I'm curious. Also is the tank heated? They like temps 78-80F & if the water is too cold it can have adverse health effects.

water perimeters are good and the tank is cycled. hes currently in a 6.5 gal tank that is heated temps at 27c. when treatment is done,he has a 15 gal tank waiting for him.

Hmmm, I have no idea what that med is. Is it an anti biotic? If you've been treating for 3 wks & its not improving but getting worse I'd change to something else like strictly the Aq salt & good clean conditioned warm water. Do NOT use Melafix or Pemafix if you do find it, it is controversial with Bettas because it contains an ingredient that is said to coat the labyrinth organ & kill them. Did you say if you're testing your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? I know you're doing water changes every 3 days but I'm curious. Also is the tank heated? They like temps 78-80F & if the water is too cold it can have adverse health effects.

Great things in this post. I didnt know about the meds though. Everything though could be stressing your betta.

Hadn't heard about melafix and pimafix with bettas at this point I would say just use the aquerium salt

Back
Top Bottom