Which Algae Wafer to buy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manix

Aquarium Advice Activist
I use the Hikari & Hagen Nutrafin Max Spiralina tablets for my ottos . The Hikari has some fishmeal in it whereas the Nutrafin is 100% vegetable . Just personally , I am not a big fan of Wardley's products .

Omega One makes a sinking veggie wafer now - that'd be my choice. I have been using Hikari.

I've used all 3. The Wardley's are lower quality, much cheaper wafers. I'd go with a mix of the sinking wafers (mostly animal protein) and algae wafers from Hikari, as the combination of the two provides the mixed diet that loaches need.

TG, awesome news on the Omega One wafers. I'll be getting those really soon!

yeah wardleys breaks down 2 fast and by the time my fish notice the food its already fallen apart. ive used 3 brands. top fin, wardleys, and hikari, i guess 4 bioblend bottom feeders. im trying to use the least amount of bioblend because it comes in such a small bottle. hikari are good so are topfin. i use to not like wardleys shrimp pellets because they break down 2 far and 2 fast. but now i notice its one if my fishes favorite foods :D

Whew, Pufferpunk, that looks like a fabulous wafer but I'll have to go in with several people to split up an order!

I've been ordering these from Jehmco for awhile now. I've been very pleased with everything about this company. :D

Just thought i'd point out something...
whether a algae wafer is the best depends on which species it is for, and whether you use it as a "staple" or not.
Omega one is excellent for most pleco species that are omnivorous, but becauase it contains animal matter is unsuitable for a daily diet for otocinclus for example, which should have very little animal protein at all except in tiny amounts rarely.

The all spirulina ones would be great for completely herbivorous species, and those fish that are omnivorous that also get a fair amount of animal source proteins.

Since the only "algae eaters" that i have in my tanks atm are otos, i use nutrafin algae tablets, because they are 100% vegetable matter. I dont like hagen fish foods normally at all, but this one seems ok for what i use it for. That is just a small part of their diet however, and they get vegetables, a bit of fruit, and sometimes homemade all spirulina gel food set with agar agar, rather than gelatine (made with human grade spirulina).

Back
Top Bottom