Whiptail Catfish Rarely Moves...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheLostTroll13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Our water parameters in our tank right now are perfect according to multiple test strips. Our Balloon Molly and out Bristlenose Pleco are active and fine, but my Whiptail hasn't moved a whole lot since we got him a earlier. We've had him for 6 hours now.

I guess my question is, What is normal behavior for a Whiptail? Are they typically still and lax?

Completely normal. I’m pretty sure they’re mostly nocturnal so it’ll move around at night if I’m thinking of the right fish.

Edit: just double checked, 100% nocturnal fish. Not something you get as a show fish that’ll be active during the day :)

Turn the lights out for 24 hours and let him get Un stressed and comfortable with his new surroundings, you should always introduce fish with the lights off and leave them off for a day, 12-14 hours is fine I leave mine off for 24.

Completely normal. I’m pretty sure they’re mostly nocturnal so it’ll move around at night if I’m thinking of the right fish.

Edit: just double checked, 100% nocturnal fish. Not something you get as a show fish that’ll be active during the day :)
Thanks! He still didn't seem very active at night but maybe he is still adapting.

Turn the lights out for 24 hours and let him get Un stressed and comfortable with his new surroundings, you should always introduce fish with the lights off and leave them off for a day, 12-14 hours is fine I leave mine off for 24.
He is currently in a tank with one plant in it. My heater broke a day ago and we didn't know, so when we got the water heated back up, the fish developed ick. So he is in a infirmery tank with the others until the normal 6.5 gallon tank we have is back to normal and free of disease. I'll remember to keep it dark when we release then though! Thank you!

Update on the Whiptail,

For no apparent reason, other than she may have gotten herself stuck behind the heater, she is dead.

Back
Top Bottom