White dots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Athaocity

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently my tank has been fighting algae. Both green and brown algae were growing in my tank. And since the algae grew, snails started showing up too. They had eaten off most of the brown algae on the tank glass and I'm happy for that. There about 10 really tiny snails visible so far and their shells appear clear, I'm thinking once they grow up bigger, their shells may change to a darker color.
I've researched a little on here about snails, And learned that if they do not over populate my tank bc of excessive feeding, algae etc. it won't be that big of a deal. Right now like I said, theres only very few visible. But there are a lot of tiny white spots on both of my driftwood that was never there before until only a few days ago. I am scared they may be snail eggs. Anyone had this before? White spots on driftwood. Help and advice.

Athaocity said:
Recently my tank has been fighting algae. Both green and brown algae were growing in my tank. And since the algae grew, snails started showing up too. They had eaten off most of the brown algae on the tank glass and I'm happy for that. There about 10 really tiny snails visible so far and their shells appear clear, I'm thinking once they grow up bigger, their shells may change to a darker color.
I've researched a little on here about snails, And learned that if they do not over populate my tank bc of excessive feeding, algae etc. it won't be that big of a deal. Right now like I said, theres only very few visible. But there are a lot of tiny white spots on both of my driftwood that was never there before until only a few days ago. I am scared they may be snail eggs. Anyone had this before? White spots on driftwood. Help and advice.

Yes they will be eggs, and in my experience they will over populate your tank!

They are literally all over my dw though. Doesn't look like its been placed. Can't get a pic.

I am going to go buy an assassin snail. How much do I need for a 20 long?

Hholly said:
I would get 4 assassins.

Um.... Well although I think I'm pretty much stocked right now as far as fish goes. Would an additional snail do any harm for the availability of space?
Right now I have 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 betta, 1 Amano shrimp, and 2 medium size corydoras..... And lots of I unwanted tiny snails.(about 15+ are visible)

I had a snail issue but like you only thought I had 4/5. I got three assassin snails and I remove 2/3 empty shells a day! Snails reproduce fast! And assassins are super cool

Athaocity said:
Um.... Well although I think I'm pretty much stocked right now as far as fish goes. Would an additional snail do any harm for the availability of space?
Right now I have 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 betta, 1 Amano shrimp, and 2 medium size corydoras..... And lots of I unwanted tiny snails.(about 15+ are visible)

Yes you have room for snails. I think you are actually lightly stocked. You could get a few more cories.

What size tank is this? Corys like to be kept in bunches, at least 5, I'd say is good.

Assassins will also breed, but it takes a good long while. I started off with 7 assassins and now have about 40, most of them wee babes.

When you no longer have pest snails for them to consume, be sure to toss algae wafers into the tank. They love them.

Back
Top Bottom