Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

White dots

Recently my tank has been fighting algae. Both green and brown algae were growing in my tank. And since the algae grew, snails started showing up too. They had eaten off most of the brown algae on the tank glass and I'm happy for that. There about 10 really tiny snails visible so far and their shells appear clear, I'm thinking once they grow up bigger, their shells may change to a darker color.
I've researched a little on here about snails, And learned that if they do not over populate my tank bc of excessive feeding, algae etc. it won't be that big of a deal. Right now like I said, theres only very few visible. But there are a lot of tiny white spots on both of my driftwood that was never there before until only a few days ago. I am scared they may be snail eggs. Anyone had this before? White spots on driftwood. Help and advice.

i want more!
Athaocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athaocity
Recently my tank has been fighting algae. Both green and brown algae were growing in my tank. And since the algae grew, snails started showing up too. They had eaten off most of the brown algae on the tank glass and I'm happy for that. There about 10 really tiny snails visible so far and their shells appear clear, I'm thinking once they grow up bigger, their shells may change to a darker color.
I've researched a little on here about snails, And learned that if they do not over populate my tank bc of excessive feeding, algae etc. it won't be that big of a deal. Right now like I said, theres only very few visible. But there are a lot of tiny white spots on both of my driftwood that was never there before until only a few days ago. I am scared they may be snail eggs. Anyone had this before? White spots on driftwood. Help and advice.
Yes they will be eggs, and in my experience they will over populate your tank!

ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

They are literally all over my dw though. Doesn't look like its been placed. Can't get a pic.
i want more!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am going to go buy an assassin snail. How much do I need for a 20 long?
i want more!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would get 4 assassins.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hholly
I would get 4 assassins.
Um.... Well although I think I'm pretty much stocked right now as far as fish goes. Would an additional snail do any harm for the availability of space?
Right now I have 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 betta, 1 Amano shrimp, and 2 medium size corydoras..... And lots of I unwanted tiny snails.(about 15+ are visible)
i want more!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a snail issue but like you only thought I had 4/5. I got three assassin snails and I remove 2/3 empty shells a day! Snails reproduce fast! And assassins are super cool
Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athaocity

Um.... Well although I think I'm pretty much stocked right now as far as fish goes. Would an additional snail do any harm for the availability of space?
Right now I have 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 betta, 1 Amano shrimp, and 2 medium size corydoras..... And lots of I unwanted tiny snails.(about 15+ are visible)
Yes you have room for snails. I think you are actually lightly stocked. You could get a few more cories.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank is this? Corys like to be kept in bunches, at least 5, I'd say is good.

Assassins will also breed, but it takes a good long while. I started off with 7 assassins and now have about 40, most of them wee babes.

When you no longer have pest snails for them to consume, be sure to toss algae wafers into the tank. They love them.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sry forgot to mention its a 20 long.

i want more!

Tags
dots, white dots

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com