White fungus making fish act crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 60 litre (13 gallon) tank set up with a marina slim filter s15 it has been running for 2 months now with fish in it, it has three live plants plus christmas moss. I have 3 small size goldfish about 2 1/2 inchs each and a small butterfly pleco. i regulary vacuum the gravel at least twice a week at about 20% water change. i feed my fish flakes but not for long as i have some decent food ordered for them (duplarin M). I tested my water today and it is showing 0.50 ammonia. ammonia is the only test kit i have.

I recently added some drift wood to the tank and for a while it was fine, then i added some christmas moss to the wood. After a couple of days the wood has developed a white slime over it. I think this may be fungus.
My goldfish appear to have been eating this white slime and now they are acting very strange. they hang in corners with clamped fins, swimming very erratically, one second the will be calm then they will swim like crazy as if startled by something. One of my gold fish looks off color and its fin has a tear. please can any one help? I have icluded a picture of my tank the driftwood is on the right this picture was taken before adding the moss and the wood is healthy at this point.
37953-albums1631-picture11030.jpg

Comet or Fancy GF's?

A tank at 2 months if should have 0 ammonia. You should maybe have some nitrites.

The reason you most likely have ammonia is because your tank has too many fish. I know how it feels to hear this news because I heard it myself when I first started out.

The rule of thumb is 20gal for the first and 10 for each additional. The reason for this. Is that at their adult size fancies are between 5-8 inches. The create so much waste that you needs 2gal per inch of goldfish to disperse thier waste.

Second a 20% pwc is not enough even for a properly stocked goldfish tank. I do 50% pwc weekly.

Your fish are probably stressing due to the ammonia. I would do a 50% pwc and get yourself a test kit for nitrite ASAP. It would also help you greatly to know your Nirtates.

I really don't feel the Pleco is a good tank mate in the your size tank. It will get too big. Also if there is not enough algae for it to eat it will suck the slime coat off fancy goldfish because they are to slow to get away.

I dont have fancy goldfish their just common ones. should i get rid of the pleco then?
37953-albums1631-picture11032.jpg

You can keep plecos with goldfish but you have to make sure there is enough for them to eat. Algae wafers will help.

But your tank is still to small for the fish you have. Again I made the same mistake. Goldfish are hardy so everyone assumes they are an easy pet. But people are not made aware how big they get and thier tank size requirements. A Pleco can get up to 12 inches plus. Comets also get more than 12 in. So you have over 4 feet of adult fish on a 13 gal tank.

If you look online at the information on your fish you an get specific numbers.

If you continue to keep them in that tank you will not be able to keep them healthy.

There are multiple other good fish options for a 10g do please don't get discouraged.

For 3 comets I would say 20 gal per fish Minimum. You have to account for their adult size. In my opinion common/comet goldfish are not meant for aquariums. They are more pond fish. But this is an opinion please feel free to do your own research.

If you truly want to keep goldfish I would recommend you research Fancy goldfish. Get a 25-30 gal and do a fishless cycle. Be very picky and find 2 you really like then add them to your tank. I love goldfish but you will never see thier true potential unless you provide them with an appropriate diet and environment.

You should YouTube "huge fancy goldfish" and you will see just how big they get. Also look at YouTube videos of pond comets.

Here is a quote from an online reference

4Observe their size. Commons, comets and shubunkins can grow over 12 inches in length. Fantails are similar ornamental goldfish can grow almost as large, depending on the variety, and are generally rounder bodied. If it is smaller, it is either young, or stunted from poor water conditions and/or improper feeding.

what do you recommend i do in the mean time while i save up for a larger tank

tmdavies said:
so i would need a 279 litre tank just for 3 goldfish? :S

I understand your surprise. That's why I feel comets should be in ponds.

You need to get a full test kit. I recommend API master for FW. It would help to know your Nitrite and Nitrate levels.

Your issue now is that you are probably only doing 20% pwc biweekly with that much Bioload there probably isn't enough water to disperse it before your bacteria can convert it. I would at least do 50% twice weekly until you get a test kit.

Also its possible that or your tank never cycled or maybe a plant is decaying.

1. Did you rinse your filter media in chlorinated water or change your filter medium in the last two months. This would remove the majority of your beneficial bacteria. Which is bad.

2. It's possible that maybe your drift wood brought some issues with it. There are threads in how to sterilize driftwood on here. You may want to look into that.

3. Maybe you have ammo because you are over feeding? Uneaten food will turn into ammo. Do you have leftover food?

my plants are dying does this add to the ammonia? i have added interpet flora boost but it doesnt seem to work. thanks for all your help.

tmdavies said:
my plants are dying does this add to the ammonia? i have added interpet flora boost but it doesnt seem to work. thanks for all your help.

The plant on the right side of your tank looks like a non-aquaitic plant, it will rot and foul your water. Yes it adds ammo to your tank.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plant-276.htm

Do you know what your ammonia level is? Chances are your fish are experiencing ammo poisoning and the erratic behavior is due to that IMO. I would suggest 50-75% PWC (partial water changes) daily until you can rehome at least 2 if not all 3 comets (adults grow to 12-18"). The pleco (common?) can be expected to grow well over a foot in lenght too, so consider rehoming it as well.

The white growth on the DW is most likely a fungus and can be wiped off or if you can remove the DW wash it and put back in place. As mentioned, a liquid test kit (ie API FW Master test kit) is a must in my book for any tank and I suggest you test all your water parameters soon to determine the tanks condition.

Back
Top Bottom