White fungus or Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allboutthe305

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I noticed one of my goldfish was turning white. Looking closer it's all over the fish and on some others. I can't tell if its Ich or white fungus because in certain spots its like patches of white. The fish has rapid breathing and is usually always at the top of the tank along with staying away from others. Please help me get this resolved before my fish die please.

Maybe these pictures can help.

(It's a 20H tank with 3 really small goldfish, 3- red eye tetra's, and 2 gold molly.)

Attachments

• image-2237733619.jpg
    image-2237733619.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 57
and it also looks like his fins are rotting. I got no idea what it could be. Anyone please help me.

What are your parameters? Water change schedule? How long have you had these fish? Do all of your fish look like this?

My tank has gravel along with logs and live plants. I've had the tank for about 2 weeks and I've changed the water twice already. I feed them once a day and about 6-7 hours of light each day. That goldfish and my pleco look like that. The rest of the fish just have a little bit of white spots of the same stuff on their tails.

Do you have a liquid test kit? Addressing your fish issues starts with fixing water quality problems.

Heres the bad news. In an uncycled, heavily overstocked tank, the water conditions are likely pretty awful right now. My suggestion is to return all of the fish and start researching the nitrogen cycle, how to cycle a tank and appropriate stock for this tank as you will be fighting a never ending battle with toxins due to the immense bioload. The way things stand right now, the tank will likely never cycle properly, water changes will be daily (if not more frequent) and health and compatibility problems will be a constant issue.

If you want to try and save these fish, you will need a much bigger tank, a bottle of Prime, an API fw master test kit and a large box of aquarium/canning/kosher salt. We can then try to treat the fish. I will post some articles below-please ask any questions!!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Back
Top Bottom