white "lint" on my tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually have that thread bookmarked to remind me of just what you've mentioned. I went through exactly what donnaR is going through now. I promised myself then that I would do all the research I could into this hobby.

I found some great folks here at AA. I for one will never forget that.

The saga continues.............. gang, I need help again! So my sunburst platy got ichy looking marks on his tailfin the other day. I did my water change, added salt as per usual, still maintaining high temps in the tank. My friend told me about a better fish store to go to (I've been going to Petsmart & Petcetera), so I went there and talked at length with one of their fish folks about my problem. He gave me this medication for ich...... Nox Ich. The directions say to put 1 drop per gallon (10 drops for my 10g), every day for 3 days. Well I've lost the platy (last night). I still have 1 mickey mouse platy, and 3 neon tetras. THey are not liking the meds. THey're certainly not their usual fun selves. I just found something on the web (by googling "nox ich") that said dosage for Nox Ich is "once every 3 days, over a 12-day period, ie: 4 doses". What should I be doing here? I'm thinking these fish aren't going to live through this treatment. Tomorrow is day 3/final day of 10drops/day.

Hypothetically, if I lose all my fish, what should I do with the tank? Empty, clean everything, start completely new again?

Did you add new fish to the tank while you were doing the heat treatment for ich? If so continue the heat treatment for 2 weeks 3 if there are no signs of stress from the last additon of new fish to the tank.. You really need to get a QT tank to do the heat treatment to the new fish from the LFS before they are added to your show tank..

It really depends on what you had to do as to how you would start over.. If all you used was heat the cleanup process would be easier.. but if meds were involved it could get a little more complicated..

Hi greenmagi......... I haven't added any new fish since this whole thing started when I noticed the first spots on my tetra. It has been 3 weeks since I elevated the temperature. I guess the reason I started the meds was #1) fish are still sprouting spots, and #2) the guy in the LFS recommended it.

One thing for sure is that I will be setting up a QT tank. Is there a thread in here somewhere that talks about how to do that? Would a person typically keep the QT tank at a higher temp, so all new fish would go in there first, and if they had ich, it would be taken care of there with the high temp?

With regard to starting over, I will cross that road when (if) I come to it. At which point I will be asking for help again........ I'm really glad you guys don't mind newbies like me.

Back
Top Bottom