White lump on rainbow shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forgetfulbunny

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Helllo.

We have a rainbow shark we have had in our 37 gallon aquarium for about a year. He's gotten very large, and he's very loved. About a week ago he had a small white lump over his eye, we used aquarium salts and have been watching it. It's started to to turn red, and it's just growing. We'd hate to lose it! The spot isn't cotton-ey and doesn't look like a fungus, and the rest of the tank looks good

Any suggestions?

P7IVgA4

Sorry your picture isn't working.

Do a water change (50% or more)

Me thinks maybe columnaris?

Caleb

We just did a 50% water change about two days ok. Let me see if I can get a picture to work another way.

20150704_163711.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I'll need to get a water test.

We have 6 tiger barbs, and 3 juli cori cats in the tank as well.

a lump sounds parasitic to me. But i'd treat for both personally to cover any internal bacterial infections that could be causing inflammation under the skin. If the fish is acting normal then treat with an anti parastic med. The best I've found is Tetra parasite guard. It contains a huge combination of drugs to combat so many parasites both external and internal. If nothing changes the fish's health is declining rabidly then you need to treat for bacteria (columnaris is lethal) as this is often a secondary infection that stems from a parasitic attack. Like I tell everyone, use kanaplex and furan 2 combined to target bacteria (columnaris strain) or Seachem sulfathiazole which can also be combined with kanamycin for extra powerful bacteria killing awesomeness. Follow directions on the box of each. But don't forget to check for ammonia daily in a quarantine tank. You will be shocked at how quickly it can build up, even with the tiniest bit of uneaten food or even residue of food as the meds kill a lot of the good nitrifying bacteria that consumes the ammonia so you're left with relying on water changes to get rid of it. With a sick fish, ammonia will wipe it out real quick so get the test kit out when treating.

Back
Top Bottom