White patch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niki86

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I had my angelfish for about two weeks now and when I bought him home he had two white patches near the base of his tail, at first I thought it was his color but clearly it isn't.

I'm not sure if it was a result of being bitten from the other angels in the tank he was in or if it is some sort of fungus?

Will it heal on it's own with frequent water changes or should I treat the water with something??

Thanks in advance

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399776869.915352.jpg

Anyone? I keep looking at it and I've tried googling it but I cannot find anything that compares...

Hmm im not sure. It may be missing scales from the other fish but id keep doing frequent water changes just in case and keep an eye the spots. See if they get any larger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, it isn't a getting better or worse, he/she is still active and eats (the Cory cats sinking pellets lol)

Should be fine then :) just keep an eye on it and keep us posted

It's definitely getting worse, the spot looks like it's almost eating him

Any suggestions?

I don't know what is wrong with your fish. If clean water with good parameters isn't working, many people try salt, Melafix or Pimafix.

If I had to bet, I'm guessing its bacterial from what you describe but that's just a guess.

Regular salt has additives. Either get freshwater aquarium salt, sold for this purpose at fish store, or some other salt without additives. When I had salt tolerant fish in the past I used kosher salt. Be sure to determine a proper dosage for your tank size and species. Salt will hurt live plants if you have them.

I do have live plants, should I try a fungal medicine? Like the one you suggested if I can find it in store?

What are your water parameters and water change schedule? I had a white patch on my platy recently when I got behind in water changes and when I increased the water changes it went away within a few days with no meds or salt. I read that if it is fuzzy it is probably fungus and if it is not then it may be bacterial. I can't vouch for it--just what I found when googling for my fish's white patch.

I do have live plants, should I try a fungal medicine? Like the one you suggested if I can find it in store?

Fuzzy white (or gray) patches on fish may be bacterial. They are not necessarily fungal. Here is an article that may help you determine which it is:

Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention

Do you have a hospital tank? That's the way to go unless it's spreading and you have to treat the whole tank. Many fish meds are not plant safe. Be sure to check.

Sadly, it is difficult to determine exactly what a white fuzzy patch on a fish is unless you are able to get a sample and have the training to do your own lab/microscope work.

Thanks for the replies peeps, my water parameters are great, my tank isn't overly stocked at the moment 5 lemon tetras, 3 Cory cats, 1 angel, and one betta (yes I know the betta and angel will not be permanent tank mates) I'm getting another 20 or 30 gallon tank (preferably 30 so I can move the angel, if he survives) as you an probably tell I do not have a hospital tank, I stored a ten and twenty gallon in my garage this winter an both tanks cracked :-(

Since my angel has come into my tank with the white patch I have been doing 25-30% water changes every two-three days (my fish tank is on the bar between the living room and kitchen, makes it really easy and convenient for water changes).

After reading the article I do believe he has columnaris, sigh...I'm going to look for treatment tomorrow, preferably one where I can take him out and do the bath/dip for thirty minutes.

From what I read it seams like my other fish will be fine as long as they are not stressed and/or nipped at....is this correct? Or should I treat my whole tank? Also, I read that my attempts to save him may be futile, that this is a tough one to beat?

Thanks again!

Edit***the patch isn't fuzzy at all, it looks clean (well as clean as an infection can look) looks like it has put holes through the back of his dorsal fin :-( I'm assuming it is at pretty progressed stage

There are many different bacteria. One form of columnaris can wipe out an aquarium in 48 hours. That is not what you have, thankfully. Right now I think you have a good chance of saving your fish. It can be cured. Even the quick moving kind can be treated, though there is often some loss-- some fish are too far gone before you even know there is a problem. I know from personal experience. Pick a treatment and try it. If it doesn't work, try another.

Im so sorry for the loss of your angel :-(

Thank you, I'm going to monitor my tank for a while before I add anything else....

Hi, I know this is kind of off topic and im sorry about your fish, but would you look at my recent post on here titled "Sick fish with white bumps". I think the bump your describing is similar to what my goldfish that I rescued are dealing with. If it is, I want to figure out what it is and get it treated so that mine wont die. I thought this was something they could live with but I read your posts and im thinking they may not be safe.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't believe your goldfish had the same thing as my angel bc your goldfish bumps looked raised as my fish was being "eaten" away or looked like it borrowed into the fish.

Back
Top Bottom