white patches on small koi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insanegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello everyone,

i got a small koi from a fish farm and at first i thought he had ick but after a week of having him alone, putting his water warm and putting salt on the tank i am starting to think that it is not ick and something else.. my koi has white patches on his tail as shown in the picture. what can it be and how is it treated??? plzs help.

Attachments

• IMG_3652.jpg
    IMG_3652.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3653.jpg
    IMG_3653.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Welcome! Se more information will help us to help you better!

What are your present parameters and temperature? Water change schedule? Were the white areas present when you purchased him? Have they become worse/spread/become fuzzy or hairy? How is his behavior and appetite? Are there any red streaking/veins in his fins?

For now, gradually reduce the temperature. Koi should not be heated and if he has a bacterial issue, it will help it to multiply and spread. 65-70f would be a good range. Change minimum of 50% of his water daily and make sure he is eating a nutritious diet along with veggies.

The questions above will help with his diagnosis and suggest further action for his situation. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello,

The water temperature is about 74-75 right now. I got him in a small tank all by himself. I put less than half a spoon on salt in his water along with daily 100% water change. The reason I am doing 100% water change is because I thought he had ick. The white spot was there when I purchase the fish. At first it got worst and then better and now it been like 3 days that it is the same. They are better, not hairy and have not spread. His behavior are fine. He is hyper all the time and always begging for food. He actually eats like a pig lol. No red veins. He is eating dried bloodworms, along with algae flakes and normal koi food. Any need or things to give him/ do will be greatly appreciate.

It kinda looks like there is something on his skin. Like if he was peeling. New pics. Someone plZs. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427930294.676107.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427930309.784371.jpg

Good job with the water changes! Continue to do them daily. You can safely add around a tsp of salt per gallon of water (replace with each water change). Just make sure the salt is dissolved into solution before adding it. Depending on what you have available, you can either dose methylene blue (1tsp/5 g, dose 1x a day after wc) or try tetra's fungus med which contains an antifungal and two antibiotics. Dose the tetra med 1x a day after your water change.

Please ask if you have questions!

Sent from my Q102 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I could get either or. But from my experience Everytime I put med it make the fish sicker and always dies. I always put about 1/3 less. However koi are stronger. Do u have any idea wat he has? Are thee any natural things I can try before or go straight for the meds?

Thank you for all your help!!

I would start with just increasing the salinity along with the water changes and see if this is enough to clear up his fins. If it does not appear to be improving or becomes worse, I would opt for the tetra med. He appears to have a bit of an infection likely from an abrasion or rough handling but it should clear up quickly.

Sent from my Q102 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom