white slots, ich, ick info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spiketooth

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Two days ago i found out my red phantom tetras had ich( only had them for 4 days at this point). I have been reading and watching videos on many fourms and websites on this topic. This is the conclusion i came up with if i am wrong please correct me. Ich is one of the most common disease in freshwater tanks, the part the killed me is most fish can fight off ich on there own, but once they are stressed its open season for the ich, change in water temp, condiction of the water anything that weakends there immune system. Once you see one fish have ich you have to assume they all have it. You can Qt the fish with spots but your still going go have to treat both tank, seperating fish with different tolerance to heat can belp cure the mass.There are many meds out there that will cure the ich but can also put more stress on the fish which can increase the death rate. One of the most common cures i found across many websites and fourms that works is increasing the water temp little by little( a degree or 2) which will increase the ich life cycle. Please keep in mind the fish you have and what water temp they can handle. . Add aquarium or table salt (dissolved in water) at a ratio of 1-3 teaspoons of salt per gallon of water in your tank equivalent to 0.1-0.3% depending on the tolerance level of your fish. Vacuum the gravel becuase once the ich falls off and begining to free swim they sit in the gravel and this will help keeping the ich count down

In my case i put alot of stress on my fish not knowing better and now my fish is paying the price. I got too many fish at one time and stuff them in a tank together. Tank has been cycled and water condictions were perfect. Did the drip method before putting them in the tank. Did everything right, just tryed to put in too many fish in the tank at one time. I hope this thread helps other people with ich issues

Forgot to say when you in increase the temp of the water you decrease the oxygen in the water so if you are not using air stone, I would use one well your treating the tank

Back
Top Bottom