White spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samantha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have just noticed that the neon Tetras in my tank are showing what appears to be white spot. I have treated the tank (they are the only occupants) with King British white spot remedy.How long will it take to be effective?
How long should I wait to introduce new fish?, as I was due to get some Dwarf gouramis tomorrow.
None of the tetras seem to be showing signs of feeling ill, I just noted the spots on their fins.

Does the white spots look like Ich? If it is ich, do not add any more fish until two weeks after the last white spot is gone. Another good treatment for ich is just increasing the temp of the tank to 87 degrees. Do you have any pics of the fish?

think it is ich.The treatment that i have for white spot says nothing about repeated doses.do you do treatment every day for a week?I dont want to overdose them. Temp at 26/78 if I raise it to 87 wont it kill the fish?

Nope, the higher temp will not kill the fish. Incresae it slowly though. Bump it up 2 degrees, then wait about 6 hours and bump it up again, etc. I've had a heater break in my tank before and send the temp soaring into the low 90's. No ill effects. :) Just be sure that when you do raise the temp to add an airstone or lower the water level. The higher temps in the tank will cause a lack of oxygen. An Airstone will eliminate this. Also, if the water level is lowered it will cause more of a splash.

The heat method for treating ich is the best IMO. Do as FF suggested and you won't go wrong. Meds can cause other complications including killing off beneficial bacteria in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom