White spot on betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently bought a betta, and I just noticed a tiny whitish patch on her head. Should I go ahead and treat for fungus, or could it be something else? Thank you!

How are you keeping the betta?
Tank size,temp,filter,waterchange schedule,how long set up(cycled?).
Clean,warm water is best first med for bettas.

How are you keeping the betta?
Tank size,temp,filter,waterchange schedule,how long set up(cycled?).
Clean,warm water is best first med for bettas.

She is by herself in a planted 10 gallon tank that has been set up for almost two years with a HOB filter (I set it to the lowest flow rate). I do a PWC every weekend, and the heater is working fine. I did just get her a week ago, so she could have gotten it at the store. Sorry, I can't get a picture. The spot is too small and my camera is horrible.

Can you post a picture? An easy way is to take a picture via your phone, post it to imgur, and copy the link

I'm assuming here you have it narrowed down to fungal or bacterial.

If you have anything in your med stock that treats fungal you could try it as I've found fungus tends to disappear fairly readily. If it gets worse or is still there several days later than onto different meds.

In the meantime, regular water changes will help freshen water and reduce organic matter. Water changes must be temp matched. Too low encourages fungal and too high encourages bacterial. Stability is key.

Okay, thank you for the information. I'm fairly certain that it's fungal, and I put in the recommended dose for that. I also added a little salt. Is that okay?

Back
Top Bottom