Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Exclamation White Spot on Betta

Hey guys,

This morning I noticed a large white spot on my Betta. I didn't notice it when I did a water change a few days ago, but I've been pretty busy preparing for Thanksgiving all week.

I do routine water changes every Friday (and sometimes mid-week if needed) and the water parameters are okay with the exception of high nitrates.

API Master Kit Readings:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm

He is not acting strangely as far as I can tell, but I'd like to figure this out and get started on a treatment plan. Is this Ick? I always thought Ick was small dots, and I have never seen anything like this on a Betta before.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
Owp
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I do not think this is ich because that is all over the fish from what Iíve read this could be a tumour but Iím not sure you would have to get more of an expert to see.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owp View Post
I do not think this is ich because that is all over the fish from what Iíve read this could be a tumour but Iím not sure you would have to get more of an expert to see.
Thanks for the reply. Your comment got me searching for information on tumors and I did see a few that were similar to what's going on with my betta. I hope it's not a tumor
Old 11-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
Owp
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc102 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Your comment got me searching for information on tumors and I did see a few that were similar to what's going on with my betta. I hope it's not a tumor
Yes I hope it isnít a tumour as well good look finding out what it is.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its difficult to determine from pics, but my guess is a fungus that has taken root on a small lesion. Not very serious if you concentrate on keeping your tank water extra clean for a couple of weeks. If the fungus spreads it might be necessary to medicate.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Its difficult to determine from pics, but my guess is a fungus that has taken root on a small lesion. Not very serious if you concentrate on keeping your tank water extra clean for a couple of weeks. If the fungus spreads it might be necessary to medicate.
I am doing daily water changes on his tank to see if it helps. Do you think I should treat with aquarium salt for a few days?
Old 11-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aquarium Salt would be a very good idea. 0ne table spoon per gallon.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update: I've done 3 days of water changes and today I am starting his salt bath. With the water changes, I've managed to lower the nitrate to 20ppm and he seems to be responding well to that. The spot on his side is still there, but his color is starting to come back and he's been a little more active.

I'm going to dose with aquarium salt (5tsp for his 5 gallon tank) and do water changes for 5 days. By then I should have removed the salt. I'll post an update then, or sooner if anything changes.

Tags
betta, spot, white, white spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com