White spot on Corydora fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sliderfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently noticed a white spot on the fin of one of my Emerald Corys yesterday. The spot is on his dorsal fin near the base and seems to be a growth of some kind. Doesn't look like Ick, but IDK for sure. No other fish has a problem.

I did just lose a Clown Loach in the tank about three days ago. He ripped his tail trying to free himself after getting stuck in a piece of decor and died the next day of his injuries. Not sure if the two incidents are connected.

Any ideas of what the spot may be caused by and how to treat it?

It sounds like fungus to me. Ich presents with tiny dots that look like someone sprinkled salt on the fish.

What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings, tank size, and stock?

All levels are fine...72 gal bowfront with 5 corys 2 clowns loachs an angelicus loach 3 kissing gouramis (2 are around 1 inch) 6 giant danios 6 zebra danios and a pleco...

He seems to ignore it altogether...

My fancy goldfish first presented with the same symptom, a white growth on its dorsal fin.
Do you have a quarantine tank of some sort? It might be worth preparing one just in case you need to treat it.
Should you require treatment, the first line of defense against these fungal growth would be
a bit of sea salt (1 tbsp/gallon) and raise the temperature to about 74-76F (provided that your fishies are compatible with those parameters... Please double check)
Since your tank is 72gal, should you require treatment, it's best to move the afflicted fish into a quarantine tank, since plants may not all survive this salinity.

Be careful with adding that much salt with a cory cat, some are not that tolerant of salt. I would scale it back to one tablespoon (equals 3 teaspoon) per 5 gallon, if keeping the water pristine didn't heal it.

The spot hasn't changed at all. I have the tank ready to go in case I need to use it but it's looking like whatever it is it isn't harmful

I've had some spots on our fish that I thought were ick at first, did treatments, then they turned into bigger spots, more like cysts.

We did some research and found there is something called cauliflower disease (lymphocystis) Which from the research may or may not be contagious, may or may not be treatable, may or may not be whatever. There was just conflicting info. We currently have 4 out of 9 indian glass fish that have this. We lost the little female ram in this picture.

Does it look anything like this?

Attachments

• ram02.jpg
    ram02.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 9,720
No it doesn't look like that. It is localized on the dorsal fin and hasn't spread to any other fin either.

It hasn't gotten any bigger since I noticed it and I would compare it to a small mole on a person in the reguard that it is noticeable and may be something to worry about or just a distinguishing mark. Honestly it may have been there for some time before I really noticed it. There hasn't been any side effects that I've noticed; his behavior has not changed at all since I've had him. He is very active and roams the tank with his posse of other corys.

My camera is broken or I'd post a pic.

The spot on your fish looks bumpy, like whatever is causing the spot is building on itself, sort of like a coral. The spot on my cory looks smooth and round.

I have a similiar spot on one of my two Julii cory cats. Its on his nose and it seems to have gotten slightly bigger. If i were relating it to a human, it basically looks like a white head. I'm not sure what to do about it.... It hasn't affected his attitude at all. He just does his normal thing everyday but it remains there.

Back
Top Bottom