White spots a fungal infection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddot82

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got this small white angelfish at petsmart 5 days ago. Today I noticed white spots on his tail and body. Some of them look raised and fuzzy. Is that a fungus? I've quarantined him for the time being but wanna be sure before I medicate. Is it something I hafta worry about the other fish catching?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130717_220518.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130717_220518.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 72
  • ForumRunner_20130717_220546.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130717_220546.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20130717_220606.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130717_220606.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 70
How are the parameters in the qt? It's hard to tell from pic but do the spots look like threads/patches of hair or more of a white fuzz? Make sure you address any water quality issues first before considering meds. You can try either product such as tetra fungus guard which contains antifungal as well as antibiotics or something simpler such methylene blue which functions as an antifungal with antibacterial properties. Please ask if you have questions!

0 ammonia 0 nitrites 7 ph in both tanks and I do 15-25% pwc's at least once a week, sometimes twice. Its more of a fuzz and I noticed his tail fin is kind of closed. This is my first experience with this so I'm assuming thats clamped fin. I'm pretty sure its not ich due to the size of the spots. I noticed skin discoleration on another angel. The symptoms seem to match a bacterial disease. I just bought sentry mardel maracyn oxy which says it covers both bacterial and fungal disease. Is this something where I treat fish showing symptoms or do I trst the whole tank to be safe?

Qt now. I put the one in the picture in it 2 days ago, noticed the discoloration on the other today and put him in the qt about an hour ago.

Work with what you have and give the oxy product a try. It's a stabilized form of chlorine so keep a close eye on them in case they have a negative reaction to it. I would only address the qt for now while keeping a close watch on your main tank. Extra wcs are a good idea across the board. Was the new PS angel in your main tank at all?

Will do! Yes he was in the main and the second fish that has the discoloration is also one from the main and this is the first medical issue I've had with any fish. What makes me nervous is that the second fish became sick almost 2 days after the ps fish was removed. It also worries me that one seems fungal and one bacterial. Like its two separate things.

Ok, that's not good news. Keep a very close watch on your main tank and expect the possibility you will need to treat this as well. If your guys in qt do not start to improve or start to take a turn for the worse, please let us know asap!

I did a pwc this evening in preperation for medicating tomorrow morning. My thinking was that if there are other infected fish I'd catch it early. Is that something I should hold off on? I'm sure they wouldnt like being medicated unneccessarily but it feels like the lesser of the two evils. I'd rather catch it early if possible.

I would honestly start with the qt and see how they handle the med before considering treating your main. If they don't react well, your not risking your other fish. If this stuff doesn't work, then you can be prepared with another course of action.

Back
Top Bottom